What would you do to your Traeger to make it work better?

Traegers, Green Mountain, Smokin Tex and all other Pellet and Wood Chip Smokers

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

BillyBusterBurgers#1
Pilgrim

Re: What would you do to your Traeger to make it work better?

Postby BillyBusterBurgers#1 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:02 pm

Okay so I have the traeger Jr pellet grill and from what I seen when I was putting it together the fire box is all the way at one end. So by all theories the firebox needs to be in the center of the grill giving the grill and even heat and smoking. So I'm looking at this new fire box which is extended that will place the fire box in the center of the grill therefore heating the entire grill evenly and giving you a better results on the temperature and the cooking of the meat
mike243
Wrangler

Postby mike243 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:16 pm

I dont own a T burner but have a Pitboss, flame pots in the middle of mine but it was designed that way, not sure your will work if moved to the center, I would get a answer from somebody before going that route.
PB AustinLX, Weber Performer, Weber E310 , 250g trailer pit , 36" cowboy grill, bunch of other ways to burn food.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:45 pm

I have a Pit Boss 340 with the fire pot at the end and have never had any problem with it cooking to hot on one end and not the other. Racks of Ribs come out evenly cooked. :tup: :cheers: :salut: :chef:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
BBQLoverUK
Pilgrim

Postby BBQLoverUK » Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:28 pm

Hi All

Apologies I'm a little bit late to the party.

I'm based in the UK and looking at purchasing a new BBQ smoker, the best range i can find is here although theres still a few missing models that are only available in the US:
https://buffbbq.com/collections/bbq-smokers-1

Can anyone give me some more information on this Pit Boss range. Is Pit Boss worth the money or do you think i should switch to Traeger ? The only problem is that here in the UK Traeger are so expensive.

If anyone is on here from the UK and has any information on: https://buffbbq.com/ Id also really appreciate that, i can find them on the Pit Boss site but they have the best pricing.

Anyway looking forward to any advice I can get.
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:48 pm

Got my first Traeger in 1998 later bought another Texas model that was newer and improved. Sometime after that I got a Pit Boss PB800 then a Cookshack Fast Eddy PG500 most recently a Pit Boss vertical series 3.

So my advice go for a Pit Boss, the horizonal is really my most used. The vertical series 3 is ok but the width is an issue where it won't hold a full slab of ribs without splitting them, the series 5 would no doubt be a better choice.
The 2 Pit Boss machines cook differently but both are good, same ol' story "learn your machine".
The PBs work well are reliable (I did have a hot rod fail on the PB800 available on Amazon and easily replaced).
There are many brands available here and most I believe are good but I have had smokers from $100 to $22,000 and to me the Pit Boss brand offers the best value.
tarde venientibus ossa....

Return to “Pellet Cookers and Smokers”