Rec Tec

Traegers, Green Mountain, Smokin Tex and all other Pellet and Wood Chip Smokers

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

chingoblingo USER_AVATAR
ChingoBlingo
Rustler

Rec Tec

Postby ChingoBlingo » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:26 pm

Anybody used or have one? Thinking of adding one for my new back porch/ outdoor kitchen in a couple months? Looks like a decent pellet burner. Here is the site: www.rectecgrills.com
big ed USER_AVATAR
Big Ed
Outlaw

Re: Rec Tec

Postby Big Ed » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:53 pm

I know a guy that has 2 of them, he loves em!!
Can't Beat A Drum!!!

Big Ed BBQ
https://www.facebook.com/BigEdBbq
Custom elf Pit (UDS on Steriods)
Water Tower pit
PK Grill
22'' weber kettle
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:02 am

The only thing I would mention is pellet efficiency, I did look at the website, looks really good, as an owner of a Traeger and a FEC, there is a big difference between insulated and non insulated cookers when it comes to pellet consumption.
The FEC only burns about a pound an hour maybe a pound and a 1/4 max it has a max temp circuit trip of 400 degrees so cooking at 350 and slightly more is possible, but not 450 or 500 degrees, the Traeger on the other hand will go to 550 degrees but at a cost of about 4 pounds of pellets per hour, being uninsulated costs in fuel.
I know i'm knit picking but something to consider; so far I have not found a cooker that is insulated, burns pellets, and will cook a mean pizza at wood oven temps as well as do a good job at low and slow or hot N fast with out being a pellet hog when I find it well the wife will have to gripe some more about patio space cause I'll buy it! :happ:
just my $.02
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
Bill-B-Que
Pilgrim

Postby Bill-B-Que » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:18 pm

ever heard of a Pellet unit using 4 pounds of pellets per hour. It is almost impossible. I have had Traegers and yes in cold weather they use more pellets. I also had a FEC120 and it used about 1.5 pounds per hour at 250. I own a Rec Tec and compared to all the pellet units in the Price Range there is no comparison. The Rec Tec is hands down far better.
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:23 pm

I am not familiar with the rec tec, but would certainly like to see your feed back and how it behaves for ya?
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
soslo
Pilgrim

Postby soslo » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:23 pm

My rec tec uses about 1 - 2 lbs/hour when under 300 degrees. It isn't insulated though. On the cold winter days, it burns at least double that to hold the temp.
Smokinslow
Pilgrim

Postby Smokinslow » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:59 pm

After having my rec tec for a couple of years, I have to say I'm not happy with how far off the temps true readings are. The actual temp on the control can easily be off by 50 degrees compared to my maverick temp probes. I will say briskest , ribs, butts, and chicken has come out very good, but I am disappointed with the temp readings, which monitor how much to feed to keep temps. This unit will not achieve 500 degrees either. I have reached 460 in 55 degree weather running it in a ventilated out building. I bought the grill plates, and made hamburgers the other night. They came out good , but could not achieve a steady 400 degrees. Low temp smoking is not bad at all, you just have to run say 325 degrees to have a actual 250. I'm going to start looking for a new pellet smoker that can hold temps better, and grill with the plates. I will keep my rec tec also. You could never have enough smokers.
Tejas stick smoker
Yoder YS 640
Rec Tec
Bradley smoker
Weber 22" charcoal
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:37 pm

Looks like pellets are gaining traction..........
I have had pellet cookers (4) for going on 17 years and I have never measured pellet consumption.......hmmmm.
I have not used a Rec Tec but hey they gots BLING!
tarde venientibus ossa....
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:06 am

OK Papa Tom, Y"all have my attention now - - - - would you ever use just a pellet cooker and never any other type or do you use it for special purposes????? I am asking this question after getting up at 4:30am, starting the charcoal/lump in my ECB and finally getting the ribs and bird on at 6am so maybe the PC is correct for me :?:

One more question, if I may, are some electric and some propane or do they need both :?:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:28 am

Pellet stoves need electricity to run the auger and control, while the fire is the pellets of course.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
RonH
Rustler

Postby RonH » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:05 am

Smokinslow
What model do you have? It's all I can do not to pull the triger on buying one. Are you interested in selling yours?
Last edited by RonH on Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:07 am

OldUsedParts wrote:OK Papa Tom, Y"all have my attention now - - - - would you ever use just a pellet cooker and never any other type or do you use it for special purposes????? I am asking this question after getting up at 4:30am, starting the charcoal/lump in my ECB and finally getting the ribs and bird on at 6am so maybe the PC is correct for me :?:

One more question, if I may, are some electric and some propane or do they need both :?:

To answer your question I have had many cookers the most expensive of which was a Ole Hickory SSE ( http://www.olehickorypits.com/Model-SSE/ ) and it was a really fine machine that used wood, electricity and optionally propane (I did catering and concessions then). Currently I have 3 pellet cookers, a propane grill and a Weber kettle.
Pellet cookers:
Cookshack FEC PG 500 has both direct and indirect cooking works great but lacks capacity good cooker for just a few people.
Traeger Texas 075 (1998 edition) modified for low temp smoking only as it does not have grease drain facility like the newer edition. Also have a newer 075 that I took up to my son (grandkids like me to cook ribs there).
Pitboss A good inexpensive cooker that gives me greater capacity when the family comes home.
Propane grill:
Rarely gets used but I keep it because we have experienced some lengthy power outages and it has a side burner.
Weber grill:
Doesn't get used much since I got the PG 500 but still a Weber is hard to beat for grilling.

So to answer yes I normally use pellet only and for those that contend pellet cooking lacks something I say to each their own but I been there, done that and have formed an educated opinion (also good sleep patterns).
tarde venientibus ossa....
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:40 pm

Thanks you, Sir, lots of good info there :tup: - - now if I can just get my pea brain to absorb it and apply it to our "limited" needs. I may be back with more questions so don't go to far. :laughing7: :D :lol:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:57 pm

I cook on a Trager and have a gasser for quick/high heat cooks. I got rid of my wood burning smoker and only smoke on the Trager...works great for me. Pellet grills are all about set it and forget it smoking/cooking.
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:46 am

Papa Tom wrote: Pitboss A good inexpensive cooker that gives me greater capacity when the family comes home.

OK, after all of this finally soaked in, I think I'm gonna make my first PC venture the Pit Boss 820.
http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/pit-bos ... id=1595135
Being able to set and forget plus a larger cooking surface (if needed) should be a plus for me)
Thanks again for the info, Papa Tom :salut:

Sorry about the Hi-Jack. ChingoBlingo :whiteflag:

Return to “Pellet Cookers and Smokers”