Sealing the Lid On Traegers?

Traegers, Green Mountain, Smokin Tex and all other Pellet and Wood Chip Smokers

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

crocodile1 USER_AVATAR
crocodile1
Pilgrim

Sealing the Lid On Traegers?

Postby crocodile1 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:33 am

I was poking around on ebay, at some of the stuff for my Lil Tex, and saw a seal kit for the lid. Does anyone know if this helps or hinders anything? And how long would the seal last. I've thought about getting the insulating blanket (as it was mentioned on here somewhere), but then saw the seal for the lid.

This past weekend was the 2nd time using the traeger, cooked burgers, took a little longer than an lpg grill, but worth it for the taste. I'm really starting to dig on this grill!
You're never lost if you don't care where you are
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Re: Sealing the Lid On Traegers?

Postby Papa Tom » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:18 pm

I have never sealed the lid on any of my cookers (4 pellet pits and and many stick burners) and don't see the need. Pellet cookers are a forced air device and the smoke has to exit somewhere and the edges around the lid are probably as good a place as the stack.
One of my stick burners did come with sealed doors but it was a very expensive rotisserie.

I do feel the insulating blanket is a benefit in cold weather and I have gone through several. I currently use a welding blanket with one of those metallic survival blankets folded inside if it is really cold.
tarde venientibus ossa....
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Re: Sealing the Lid On Traegers?

Postby Gator » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:38 pm

No issues with my Traeger sealing/nor insulating...
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call

Return to “Pellet Cookers and Smokers”