Pellet Pre-schooler

Traegers, Green Mountain, Smokin Tex and all other Pellet and Wood Chip Smokers

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Pellet Pre-schooler

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:00 pm

all my life I have known just enough to be dangerous so I try not to over compensate :laughing7: :D :lol:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:19 pm

Was in Home Depot shopping for some rain gutter materials and saw a 10"x8" GV duct collar which turned on that "dangerous" :idea: in my cranium. It was cheap so I went ahead and got it, not knowing if it would fit or not. IT FITS so I'm gonna try it in the morning on my first Rib cook on the PB340. Hopper on those grills don't hold very much pellets and I can monitor it to see if it may let me set and forget for a all night Brisket cook (which I picked up today also) :dont:

I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:01 pm

Redneck technology wins again. :cheers:
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:45 pm

:laughing7: :rambo: :texas: :lol:
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:10 pm

*if this helps* I notice a very big difference in pellet consumption 250 degrees and below on the Treager, maybe the same for you?
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:06 pm

thanks, Gator, I'm really gonna monitor it closely tomorrow for the Rib cook, especially since I'll be around 200 for several hours and then on High for one hour. Gonna be a learning process for me and I'm gonna log everything down for future cooks. :salut:
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:41 pm

I ran 5 hours today and barely a 1/3 hopper @ 250 degrees...on the other hand if I run 275+ - the amount of pellets used seems exponentially higher.
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:46 am

got the ribs on at 5am with both temp gauges reading 200 but it was 42F and a gusty 7mph NW wind so this might not be a "typical" cook - - - we will see :dont:
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:37 am

seems that the gusty winds can really mess with that Pit Boss Pellet so I had to monitor it closer than I wanted to - - - - even tho I had it set at 200, there were times it got to 295 BUT all is well and the pellet usage seems about what, Gator had mentioned about his unit - - - - on a calmer day I can probably get a total rib cook with just one hopper full and might even accomplish that today - - - - I'm not counting pellets for any other reason than to know how long I can "leave" it unattended - - - - - one Positive note was that the stock temp gauge was giving me the same readings as the after market gauge that I added to the center of the lid - - - I'll post a cook thread after all is said and done - - - bottomline so far "I LIKE IT" :tup:

Return to “Pellet Cookers and Smokers”