Pellet Pre-schooler

Traegers, Green Mountain, Smokin Tex and all other Pellet and Wood Chip Smokers

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Pellet Pre-schooler

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:18 pm

Well, I decided to check the waters and get me a Pellet Grill. Had planned on a Pit Boss 820 but decided to get a 340 instead and I'm going to add a thermometer which this model didn't come with. If it turns out to be too small, which I doubt, and since we only do about 3 large gatherings here a year. We have an oven and I'm also getting a Oil Less Turkey Fryer in a few weeks so we should be able to handle most cooks without arm wrestling for the oven. :laughing7:

I also started a Shed/Shack/Lean To off of my carport so now I don't have to back the Hot Rod out, if the weather is nasty. It's all low key KISS but it gives me a hang out no matter the weather and a place to stay a ?little? more organized. More to come as the project develops.

I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Re: Pellet Pre-schooler

Postby Okie Sawbones » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:34 pm

That is looking real fine, OUP. Happy for you. The cover really comes in handy, unless we have one of those 40 mph blowing rains that comes in sideways. I ain't cooking in that mess anyway. The only downside I see to the grill is the 7 lb. hopper. You'll have to refill it during a brisket cook. No big deal.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
chilefarmer USER_AVATAR
ChileFarmer
Forum Star

Postby ChileFarmer » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:04 pm

Looking good there OUP. Will be watching. CF :D
OK, get over it, you lost. God bless America

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/ChileFarmer" target="_blank
Lots of Sub folders to.

http://curingandsmoking.blogspot.com/" target="_blank
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:10 pm

Fire it up! :chef: 8)
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:09 am

thanks, Gents, I'm excited to try this and the thermometer is on it's way so next week should be a prime time St. Louis Rib Testing - - - need to pick up some pellets also - - -"duh" :banghead:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:50 pm

OUP..

First, congrats on that pellet grill, that looks awesome !!
Secondly, I'm gonna congratulate you early in your future Big Easy, ur gonna love it !!
And lastly, do I see the fender and bumper of an old impala or chevelle in the background ??
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:33 pm

Almost finished - - - gotta run some power and hang a 4' LED shop light and then I'm gonna Chill and Grill Pellet Style.

bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:37 pm

Lookin' good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Twitter handle @bsooner75
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:27 pm

Obviously it was so easy even a caveman could do it. :laughing7:
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:11 pm

Got my Q Shed wired and ready to do the preliminary start up on the Pellet Grill. QUESTION IS after the intial fire up and cool down, what do I do with the pellets that are still in the hopper and auger area :?: Can I leave them there for the next cook or do I need to remove and start with fresh :?: If I need to remove then what's the best way :?:
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:58 pm

I leave mine.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:12 pm

Oakie, another question, if I may? I ran IT thru the prelim and got pellet in the pot and a good full flame. Then, as the instructions said, I turned it off but the fan kept running. Is it normal for the fan to continue? Maybe for cool down and safety purposes? :scratch:

Yes, I have read the instructions as good as my eyes would do and I saw no mention of the fan continuing after turn off. :dont:
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:31 pm

Mine runs for a while after turning off the switch.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:38 pm

so does mine :laughing7: :D :lol: should have waited before asking :banghead: questions answered and Ribs are Thawing :chef:
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:35 pm

Always happy to answer questions if I know the answer... but I don't know much. :dont:
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
VFW - Life, DAV - Life

Return to “Pellet Cookers and Smokers”