new cooker

Traegers, Green Mountain, Smokin Tex and all other Pellet and Wood Chip Smokers

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

s.o.l. bbq USER_AVATAR
S.O.L. BBQ
Cowboy

new cooker

Postby S.O.L. BBQ » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:49 pm

looking into getting a pellet grill. Need some advice from the pro's. I'm looking at either a pit boss or a gmg. Your thoughts on either one will be great. And also do you own one and what you like about it. Thanks Dwight
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Re: new cooker

Postby Okie Sawbones » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:11 pm

It would be better to know your price limit. There are better pellet pits than these, and there are worse pellet pits than these. I can name some good quality pits if you give me a number to work with. For instance, Green Mountain Grills range from $399.00 to 7,999.00.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
s.o.l. bbq USER_AVATAR
S.O.L. BBQ
Cowboy

Postby S.O.L. BBQ » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:13 pm

I'm wanting to keep it under a grand if I can.
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:55 pm

The GMG Jim Bowie fits in that price range at $799.00. They're $75 off in March, only $724. I have a good friend in SC who has this grill and loves it. The Pit Boss is a respectable smoker, but not the quality of a GMG or Rec Tec. The Rec Tec 680 pushes your limit at $998.00. The 40 lb. pellet hopper sure is nice. Great reviews, but I don't have any friends with one. I love my Blaz'n Grill Works pellet pooper, but it is pushing $1,500.00. Don't write off Traeger. Their Traeger Lil Tex Elite can be purchased online for $699.00 with free shipping. It's equal to or maybe a step up from the Pit Boss. It has a better controller.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life

Return to “Pellet Cookers and Smokers”