I'm afraid I went over to the dark side

Traegers, Green Mountain, Smokin Tex and all other Pellet and Wood Chip Smokers

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Re: I'm afraid I went over to the dark side

Postby Papa Tom » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:08 pm

Quote: "Thanks PT for the advice on the ribs. Will try that on my next go round...but I got another question for ya.
I'm doing pulled pork this Sat for my daughter 30th birthday party. About a 100 adults have rsvpd. I told her we needed around 50lbs total of pork butts. It's a pot luck but the pulled pork will be the main. I was hoping she would bring me six 8lb bone in pork butts. She dropped them off today and they are 10 to 11lbs each :scratch:
It looks like I should have no problem getting at least 5 of them on the grille, 6 maybe a squeeze but I think I could make 6 work
They need to be served around 7 pm Sat night :scratch:
I'm thinking I should maybe start them around 12 am Sat morn at 225 and raise the temp as needed throughout the day on Sat. I plan on foiling them at a IT of 170 to 180

I maybe asking too much of this grille with this amount of meat but what's ya think. Any and all recommendations will be greatly appreciated"

I have done five 17 lb briskets on my Traeger 075 at one time (has home made second shelf) so I'd think it is a go with the butts.
Loading up the pit with meat tends to made for better cooks in that the temp holds pretty steady and the moisture level is high in the cooker.
Allow plenty of time cause you can always take the butts off and store them in the ice chest until time to pull.
One thing to be careful of though with that much meat on is grease fire potential make sure the grease drain is working and not impeded.
Watching the time if you need to hurry things a bit you can foil @ 165° IT.
Also it may be beneficial to rotate the butts to more evenly cook.
Another tip: For pulling the pork if you happen to have a rotisserie fork (the thing that holds the meat on the spit) just mount it on a 6" shaft or square rod and chuck it up in your drill and are minutes away from perfectly pulled pork.

BTW I have a similar project next month with my granddaughter's graduation. Her dad said that he'd have whatever she wanted for food catered and she said "I want Papa's BBQ."
He has my old model "T" ( the one I did those 5 briskets on). This will be a Saturday open picnic style for all her friends and classmates so who know how many? Just load up the Traeger and try to please.
tarde venientibus ossa....
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:55 pm

Thanks guys.
One more question PT. What temp do you run your pellet cooker on butts ?

Bill
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:57 pm

bondobill wrote:Thanks guys.
One more question PT. What temp do you run your pellet cooker on butts ?

Bill

Pretty much like I do on ribs I go the first hour or so on "Smoke" then go to 275° that temp seems to render the fat nicely.
tarde venientibus ossa....
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:32 am

It was a squeeze but I got all 6 butts on. :D
These all where right around 11lbs each. I rotated them from front to back one time.
I wrapped them at 170 IT, about the time I took this photo. Removed all 6 at the same time IT was between 200 and 205 on all of them.
Not really certain what was a bigger hit, the pulled pork or PTs rottesserie forks and cordless drill idea. Works like a hot darn !! Drew quite a crowd watching me pull the pork with a Dewalt :mrgreen: Thanks for that my friend :salut:
I'm going have to learn how to speed things up tho....total cook time was around 16 hours, about 20 lbs of pellets but the grille ran flawless.

Thanks
Bill
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:22 pm

mighty purdy, BB, :cheers: I think you've got the hang of this thing :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
captjack USER_AVATAR
CaptJack
Outlaw

Postby CaptJack » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:31 pm

22"OldSmokey • 2-burner gasser with GrillGrates
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:04 pm

looks like ya done good!! :cheers:
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Sun May 22, 2016 11:15 pm

Threw on a 2.5lb Tri Tip on the pellet smoker. At 4 bucks a lb for choice I figured I had nothing to lose. Never done one before :scratch:
Cranked the pellet grille up to 500 and threw it on the grille grates.
Pulled the Tri Tip off at 130 IT and put on some butter flied prawns

Tri Tip was a little more over done then I like...but the missus was happy. It came out very tender and juicy. Thinking maybe I shouldn't have wrapped it up in foil while I cooked the Prawns and taters.

Rounded out the plate with some sliced up Russets dusted with chicken breader and deep fried.

Got to admit....I'm really starting to like this pellet thingahmajig :mrgreen:

Bill
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon May 23, 2016 7:31 am

Very very nice :cheers: first time I've see Prawns on the half shell and that's a great idea since a lot of good flavor comes from that shell during cooking so thanks for the shrimp-tip :tup: :laughing7:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Tue May 24, 2016 8:14 pm

I was thinkin you had some texas doodle bugs till you said what they were, looks good :cheers:
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Tue May 24, 2016 10:05 pm

Thanks OUP and ST :D
Now please excuse my ignorance , remember your talking to a Yankee ....but what the heck is a Texus Doodle Bug :dont: :whiteflag:

Bill
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed May 25, 2016 7:47 pm

bondobill wrote:Thanks OUP and ST :D
Now please excuse my ignorance , remember your talking to a Yankee ....but what the heck is a Texus Doodle Bug :dont: :whiteflag:
Bill

OK Yank, a Doodle Bug is a very very very very small insect that burrows in fine dirt or sand and creates a kinda whirlpool look. Although they look like they could eat full grown elephants EVEN IN TEXAS they are only about 1/4" at the most. However, it's very possible that ST has cooked them over smoke and coals. :laughing7: :D :lol:
doodle bug.jpeg
doodle bug.jpeg (5.16 KiB) Viewed 2991 times
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Thu May 26, 2016 9:10 pm

Bought my wife a Traeger cause she told me she wanted something simple to cook a steak on when I'm on a trip - 2 years now she hasn't touched it but gets me to cook on it all the time. Does very credible steaks, no flare up, just slower and you have to watch for flameouts. Idiot proof if you use a Thermopen.

Not as good a flavor as cooked over pecan for example, but if you roll into the house at 6:30 and wanna eat steaks by 7:15, this is the ticket.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:45 pm

I went cheap today :laughing7:
Picked up a value pack of country style ribs at my local grocer.
Threw them on the pellet for 2 hours at 250 then tinned them for around 45 minutes at 350.
Finished them off back on the grate for around 15 minutes with a glaze of our hosts Original bbq sauce :salut:

Dang it was good !!!!!
Especially for less then 10 bucks.. :D
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:34 am

We always called those Jacks Ribs for some reason which I have no idea HOWEVER, no matter what you call them THOSE can just be labeled AWESOME :tup: :cheers: :salut:

Return to “Pellet Cookers and Smokers”