prime rib question.

Traegers, Green Mountain, Smokin Tex and all other Pellet and Wood Chip Smokers

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

bondobill
Outlaw

prime rib question.

Postby bondobill » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:21 am

Ok pellet cookers...anyone ever done a Prime rib in your pellet smoker ? Papa Tom maybe :chef:
I got my sons wedding reception coming up in a couple weeks and plan on doing Prime rib and pig bones. It would make life a whole lot easier if I could do the roast in a couple of pellet smokers. That way I only have to baby sit my block smoker for the pork ribs.
I don't want to give the Prime rib too much smoke.....been there done that and the results weren't very good. My thinking is at a higher heat setting say 275-300 degrees in the pellet it shouldn't be over smoky. At least that what Ive noticed in my Rectec. It doesn't smoke much at the higher settings. I would have to borrow my sons Traeger, I'm hoping that would be the same.
If I have to Ill drag home our trailer off set smoker to do the pork bones in that and use my block smoker for the roasts. The block smoker with mostly lump charcoal for heat does a awesome job on Prime rib, but will make for a long day tending to 2 stick burners :(

Thanks
Bill

Return to “Pellet Cookers and Smokers”