Smoking up a Turkey

Traegers, Green Mountain, Smokin Tex and all other Pellet and Wood Chip Smokers

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Smoking up a Turkey

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:29 am

Nuttin wrong with Prime Rib for "any" occasion, :cheers: however, you could always Beer Can that Gobbler after an overnighter in some brine - - - - Garoonteed Juicy for sho :tup:

As for "OUR" T-day, I have the challenge of doing another low sodium Gobbler for the D.I.L. (daughter in love) BUT, I'm also fixin some Reebs, ABTs, Spiraled Ham and Lawd knows what else so no one should go away completely saltless :laughing7:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
finatic USER_AVATAR
Finatic
Bandolero

Postby Finatic » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:50 pm

BB- For the longest time I experienced the same thing with whole smoked turkeys- decent flavor but dry. It wasn't till I started brining them and cooking them at 325 when I discovered how good a whole smoked turkey is. If they are cooked right they'll melt in your mouth. Brining a turkey is easy. I use a turkey oven bag (made to cook turkey's in) to brine the turkey in and set it in a smaller cooler (just big enough to hold the bagged bird and some ice) for 24 hours. Remove the bird, rinse it, season it and put it on the smoker. A water pan is a must.

Also if you keep a water pan under the bird and catch the drippings that makes for some gooooood gravy! :D
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:25 pm

bondobill wrote:Maybe the same results aren't achievable with a Turkey
Bill

They are not. They can be close but in the end, turkey is a dry bird. The only super juicy turkey I have ever eaten has been fried. Even the juiciest of smoked or baked turkeys will dry out quickly after carving. Methinks it's just the bird :?
(Insert witty signature here)
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: RE: Re: Smoking up a Turkey

Postby woodenvisions » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:53 pm

Txdragon wrote:[quote="bondobill"]
Maybe the same results aren't achievable with a Turkey
Bill

They are not. They can be close but in the end, turkey is a dry bird. The only super juicy turkey I have ever eaten has been fried. Even the juiciest of smoked or baked turkeys will dry out quickly after carving. Methinks it's just the bird :?[/quote]
Have to agree with Txdragon, can't beat a fried bird in peanut oil imho...
Runner up as far as I'm concerned is in the Big Easy Oil Less Turkey Fryer.Smoked in the Akorn was pretty good as well but deep fried gets my vote :)
Just my experience tho
mlee USER_AVATAR
mlee
Pilgrim

Postby mlee » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:35 am

Have any of you injected your turkeys before putting them on the Pellet smoker?
Tools of choice:
Yoder YS640 Pellet
Ducane Gas Grill

Return to “Pellet Cookers and Smokers”