Smoking up a Turkey

Traegers, Green Mountain, Smokin Tex and all other Pellet and Wood Chip Smokers

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

bondobill
Outlaw

Smoking up a Turkey

Postby bondobill » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:49 am

Picked up a 18lb turkey at Costco last week.....smallest they had :shock: At .99 cents a pound I figured why not give it a go in the pellet, besides we be having Tday at our house this year and want to do a test run.
Birds been in a simple brine of kosher salt and brown sugar since Friday night. Going fire up the pellet smoker here in a couple hours, ain't decided yet whether to spatchcock or place it in a pan whole with some fresh apples in the cavity. Kinda leaning towards panning it ..really would like some lightly smoked gravy. :D . Not enough room between the grease pan and the grates for a pan to collect the drippings if I spatchcock it. :dont: I ain't decided yet either to smoke it low and slow or hot and fast .
So many decisions to make :lol: oh well besides sighting in my 17 cal. today I ain't got nothing better to do, might just as well see if I can destroy a cobbler. :laughing7:

Bill
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Re: Smoking up a Turkey

Postby Okie Sawbones » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:06 pm

Two things from my experience, low and slow will give you inedible skin, if skin is your thing; you can always spatchcock the bird and put in on a rack over/in the pan to collect juices.

I don't care for the skin, so I cook at 275F, using a full size aluminum hotel pan, and place it on a full size grate.

KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:20 pm

Thanks OS
So do you smoke whole or spatchcock ?

Thanks
Bill
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:29 pm

$0.02 :dont: Pan it - - heck with the skin - - it's bad for you anyhow :laughing7: :tup:

Hadn't seen a "sebenteen" in years - - - it will shoot flatter and further than I can see :salut:

Awaiting the final pics :texas:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:54 pm

I like to spatchcock, but have done whole as well.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:27 pm

Okie Sawbones wrote:I like to spatchcock, but have done whole as well.

I'll bet that 18 # gobbler would look like a Saddle Blanket when Spatchcocked :laughing7: :D :lol:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:54 pm

I separate the breast from the wings, back and legs. The back is used for broth, the separation is because different pieces are done at different times, if you want a moist tender breast, the legs and thighs will be undercooked and the wings will be over cooked. I cook as normal at 275 and temp the all the pieces at 165, if the skin is important, then flip on the gasser and crisp the outsides, if you like bacon can be added to induce some fat and flavor... :shock:
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:56 pm

I gave up buying whole turkeys years ago, I now just buy the turkey roast which is basically the breasts stuffed with stuffing and rolled and wrapped. Christmas day here I need room in the oven so it fits with a leg oh lamb in one cooking dish. Just saaaying. Easy carving as well.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:02 am

ok now you went and did it....
I have stuffed a pork loin with boudin, it wernt bad at all, so what you just said made think of a leg of lamb wrapped in a turkey breast... :idea: it just might taste good :salut:
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
finatic USER_AVATAR
Finatic
Bandolero

Postby Finatic » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:08 am

Most of the time I cook turkeys whole because I'm usually cooking at least 2 at a time and need the space on the UDS (which is my go to smoker for turkey). I brine them then cook them at 325 with a water pan. Always very moist and juicy.
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:55 pm

Sorry bout the late reply all :(

Well I ended up smoking the Turkey whole. Had the pellet set at 275'. Let it roll till it had a nice color to it. IT was at 140'. Tin and covered it.

Lets just say this, in this photo it looks a lot better then when I uncovered it at a IT of 178 in the thigh.
Next one I will Spatchcock. I'm done with trying to smoke a whole Turkey....seem to get the same results no matter what I do :dont:

One question for those of you that have smoked a spatchcocked Turkey ? Do you cook it to the same temps as you would a chicken :dont:
Ive had excellent results with spatchcocked clucker cooking it till a IT of 165 in the breast. At that temp in the breasts the thighs and legs are done perfect also

thanks
Bill
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:45 pm

A whole turkey is good as done when cooked to a minimum internal temperature of 165 degrees. Check the internal temperature in the innermost part of the thigh, wing, and the thickest part of the breast.
(Insert witty signature here)
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:57 am

Sho looks Larapin to MOI :tup: :cheers: BB, what changes did you not like after finishing it :?:
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:44 am

OldUsedParts wrote:Sho looks Larapin to MOI :tup: :cheers: BB, what changes did you not like after finishing it :?:

I think it was over cooked. Somewhat moist but nothing like when I spatchcock a chicken. Maybe the same results aren't achievable with a Turkey :dont:
The flavor was good, I applied olive to the skin then gave it a healthy dose of SBs Clucker dust. Both my wife and mom said it was really good but they may have been just being kind.
I did have to crank the temp up to 350 for a bit....didn't want dinner to be late.
One side of the breast was starting to split :shock: overdone me thinks.
Another thing I struggle with is Turkey gravy :( It ain't nothing like my mom used to make. :whiteflag:

I ain't ready to give up yet although I asked the kids if Prime rib was ok for Thanksgiving...it didn't go over well :lol:

I guess one more test run be in order before Tday....suggestions !!!!

Thanks to all
:cheers:
Bill
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:07 am

I'm with you on the prime rib over the turkey.

But.... if they insist on bird, you could always part it out. Bone in breast and some turkey legs?

:dont:
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum

Return to “Pellet Cookers and Smokers”