Considering Purchasing A Green Mountain Grills Daniel Boone Smoker - Your Thoughts?

Traegers, Green Mountain, Smokin Tex and all other Pellet and Wood Chip Smokers

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Slapshot
Pilgrim

Considering Purchasing A Green Mountain Grills Daniel Boone Smoker - Your Thoughts?

Postby Slapshot » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:32 pm

As the title says, I am considering purchasing a Green Mountain Grills Daniel Boone Smoker as my first ever smoker. Originally I had been looking at a Yoder YS480 but my planned retirement, which was slated for the end of next year, was just escalated in a major way when the company notified me on Friday that my department is being outsourced, effective November 1st. That changes things a bit financially. I still absolutely want to go through with buying the smoker, but that Yoder, while clearly a great product, would run me about $1500.00 shipped.

After reading a lot of reviews and comments, I am now looking at the GMG Daniel Boone. I've read many recommendations for it, and many, many comments from owners about how well it works and the great customer service GMG provides. I thought I had the right solution to what I needed at a price that's affordable for me. However, earlier today, I came across quite a number of comments on a very serious smoking forum where a gentleman was looking to buy the Daniel Boone. He got responses almost across the board that GMG grills are not built well enough if you intend to keep it for a long time, and that only a Yoder, MAC, or, at least a Rec Tec would provide long term quality and performance. They were literally saying either save up more money or forget buying a smoker unless you can afford to upgrade down the line. Even the cheapest of those solutions, the Rec Tec, would cost me $1200.00, shipped, and that's the most basic/stripped model, which you would need to add things to.

I would appreciate any thoughts, expertise, or recommendations on this. This is a very important purchase as the smoker will see regular use, and I would hope it could last me for the long term.Thank you for any assistance.

JC
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Considering Purchasing A Green Mountain Grills Daniel Boone Smoker - Your Thoughts?

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:15 pm

How much grilling/smoking surface does that unit have, JC :?:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
Slapshot
Pilgrim

Re: Considering Purchasing A Green Mountain Grills Daniel Boone Smoker - Your Thoughts?

Postby Slapshot » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:23 pm

Per the company information - the grilling surface is 458 square inches. This would generally only be used for smoking one item at a time, for two people.

JC
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:41 pm

I have done 2 racks of spare ribs on my PIt Boss 340 with no problem - - - even had room for an AMAZN smoke adder device which is about 8" x 8" - - - and I know what you mean by the Wife and you :tup:

I too am a beginner with the Pellet Grill but I"m glad that I have one - - - it's been a learning process and I have had some issues with the electronics on mine, however, it is awfully nice when you're looking for a long smoke that doesn't need "too much" attention.
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:23 pm

I have an old shooting buddy who has this GMG, and he loves it. GMG has a good reputation.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
p.z. USER_AVATAR
P.Z.
Pilgrim

Postby P.Z. » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:12 am

I have a wifi GMG Davy Crockett (tail-gating cooker) and love it (except the awful legs). After sitting in the garage for over a year, I fired it up the other day using my cell phone, and it started as if I had been using it all along. It holds the temperature to a couple of degrees plus/minus, and I never need to worry about the progress of the cook since my phone reminds me via temperature alarms.

I purchased a Daniel Boone for my son, and it works the same. It is a quality cooker in my opinion, and for only $399 on sale (not wifi), which included a cover and bag of pellets, it was way cheaper than the Traeger my wife purchased some years ago by about $200. I greatly appreciate the Rec Tec and other higher end cookers, but at only 1/3 the cost, the GMG is a solid unit; one I would not hesitate to purchase again as long as the deal was as good.
PZ
barevalos210 USER_AVATAR
BArevalos210
Pilgrim

Postby BArevalos210 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:52 pm

I also agree with P.Z. it looks like a great smoker seeing it in person. I was also on the side of budget due to my job in the oilfield being so volatile at the moment but once I had the Yoder YS 640 in front of me it was no question for me to bite the bullet and buy something that was going to last a lifetime. fortunately I had a dealer in San Antonio for both so all I had to do was load it up. The dealer was $200 overpriced the Yoder website but without hesitation honored the Yoder price!!!

Although they tried like heck to sell me a Pitz n Spitz LOL $$$$$$$Big Bucks$$$$$$$!!

Return to “Pellet Cookers and Smokers”