Traegers, Green Mountain, Smokin Tex and all other Pellet and Wood Chip Smokers

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

kp129
Pilgrim

Quick Turkey

Postby kp129 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:25 pm

Greetings Y'all,

My first post.

A couple weeks ago I cooked a turkey on my Traeger, about 17 lbs. In two hours it read 165 degrees measured in multiple areas. But, it was very "wet" so I left it on another hour and it was perfect even though the temp was then over 175. Two different meat thermometers, a remote and an instant read.

Today I have a 22 lb bird on it and after a two and a half hours it is almost 165 degrees. I brined it and am cooking it at 350. It is windy and cool so the dome thermometer is 325. Is it the convection feature that cooks it so fast? Cookbooks say it should take close to 4 hours. Sure wasn't planning on having the dang thing done a couple hours before the company arrives! I turned it down and will leave it for a while.

Kurt
Washington State
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Re: Quick Turkey

Postby spacetrucker » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:31 am

First thing is first.... A big friendly Welcome to the forum. Post often and please do include pictures and a scent if you can manage to.... :D

now for your turkey, I would make double sure my thermometers were accurate by doing the boiling water and ice water test, boiling being 212 or what ever the elevation in your area mandates, the ice water bath is always 32 degrees....
I almost never cook a turkey whole, I normally separate the breast from the wings and separate the legs from the back then do the temperature cook with 165 being my doneness indicator.
The main reason is because different parts get done at different times and having them separated allows them to be removed when they are done to prevent over cooking one part and having other parts under cooked. Oh and the back gets boiled for broth with the giblets..
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
bondobill
Outlaw

Re: Quick Turkey

Postby bondobill » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:40 pm

Hi Kurt and welcome to another Wa. stater :D
Have you checked the actual temp that the Traeger is running :?:
I borrowed my sons Traeger a while back, couldn't fit everything in my RecTec.
I checked the grate temp in the Traeger with my Maverick just to be on the safe side before the cook. With Settings at 225 on the controller the actual temp in the smoker was bouncing between 250 and 275.
I never called Traeger about it I just set the temp lower on the controller. I would guess Traeger has a easy fix for it with a phone call if this is the problem

Bill

Return to “Pellet Cookers and Smokers”