New to pellet grills (Traeger)

Traegers, Green Mountain, Smokin Tex and all other Pellet and Wood Chip Smokers

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

earthwurm
Pilgrim

New to pellet grills (Traeger)

Postby earthwurm » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:41 pm

Hey everyone,

new to this page just like I am to cooking/smoking with pellets. I finally got the Traeger that I have been eye balling for a while this Christmas and made some wings last night because i just couldn't wait to try it. So far, so good! I do have a few beginners questions for anyone out there who has been using a pellet grill or a Traeger for a while.

1) When and why do you have to take those 10 initial firing steps to "charge" the auger? I see the subsequent start up instructions are just to open lid, turn on and set to smoke and wait until smoke comes out after a few minutes then set to desired temp.

2) I live in a very humid area. Ive read how a lot of people don't remove the pellets out of the hopper after each cook, but ive also read horror stories from people who havent. Should i remove unused pellets after each cook from the hopper and the firepot?

Those are my two big questions so far...i'm sure i will have a few more down the road. Thanks in advance!
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Re: New to pellet grills (Traeger)

Postby Gator » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:46 pm

Welcome.

1 - Never done this...

2 - I live in Dallas, my Traeger sits out in the weather with a cover. Never had pellets swell nor clog up on mine...5 years and counting.
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:27 am

I have a Pit Boss and I always remove "all" pellets and clean my pellet grill after each use but that's just "Me", however, I would imagine the moisture from condensation would be more likely to dampen your pellets than the humidity :dont: I just recently started that high burn finish before cool down and that helps a lot. (the Shop Vac is your friend :laughing7: ;) :lol: ) I will also admit that it took me a boo boo or two, a few cooks and some guiding experienced help from Papa Tom and others to get me to really enjoying the ease and advantage of pellet cooking. Definitely a hands on learning experience but it pays off in the long run. Keep us in the loop as you learn the pros and cons, OK :?: :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
earthwurm
Pilgrim

Postby earthwurm » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:23 am

Thanks for the replies. Don't worry, I'll keep everyone updated with my pros and cons. I'm pretty stoked to get going 8)

PS any tips, tricks, or dos and donts are always welcome

Return to “Pellet Cookers and Smokers”