New Pit Boss 820

Traegers, Green Mountain, Smokin Tex and all other Pellet and Wood Chip Smokers

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

thelar
Pilgrim

New Pit Boss 820

Postby thelar » Mon May 22, 2017 2:44 pm

I picked up a Pit Boss 820 from Menards a month ago. This is my first go around with a pellet smoker. I have a couple of cooks under my belt and I have to say it has been really easy. I have done a 6lb brisket, and two St. Louis racks of ribs. Both were moist, had a good smoke ring and good smoke flavor. The brisket I only salted(kosher) and peppered. I put on the pit at 225* for 3 hours, pulled it wrapped it in butcher paper and returned it to the pit at 250* for 4.5 hours. Pulled it at 200* IT.
IMG_1178.JPG
IMG_1179.JPG
The ribs I rubbed wth a pecan BBQ rub and used the 3-2-1 method. I put them on the pit at 250* and spritzed them with apple juice every hour for the first three hours. I pulled them and wrapped them in butcher paper(Don't you just hate it when you grab the foil and pull of a sheet and realize you are out.) I applied honey, more rub, and added some apple juice to the wrap. Put them back on the pit for two more hours. I pulled them out unwrapped and hit them with a light mop(apple cider vinegar, honey, apple juice, and sweet baby rays). Then back on for the last hour.
IMG_1186.JPG
IMG_1187.JPG
Conclusion - The brisket was spot on. We enjoyed everything about it. The ribs were moist, flavorful, and good smoke taste, but were not as tender as I like. I am going to attribute that to using butcher paper instead of foil. I did use the foil I had on the rib tips and they turned out great.
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: New Pit Boss 820

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon May 22, 2017 2:53 pm

Welcome to the Forum and Thanks for posting this - - - we don't get much Pellet Propaganda :salut: - - - all cooks look great to me - - - I'm gonna be running a rack of Baby Backs thru my Pit Boss 340 on Wednesday ?I hope? :tup:
OUP

" Country by choice, Texan by the Grace of God "
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
Outlaw

Postby Swamp Donkeyz BBQ » Mon May 22, 2017 5:48 pm

NICE!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
castironchris
Bandolero

Postby castironchris » Tue May 23, 2017 5:54 am