outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Re: Considering Pellet grill

Postby outlaw » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:27 am

bondobill wrote:
outlaw wrote:
outlaw wrote:
bondobill wrote:I have had the RecTec 680 for better then a year now. Has ran flawlessly. Temp holds within a degree or two of set temp. Also like the 5 degrees increments of temp settings.
Great customer service.
Big grilling area. I've done as many as 6 11lb pork butts at one time. Last Tday I did a 23 turkey spatchcocked and still had room to spare.
I made my own upper rack for mine. Works fantastic for brisket with a water pan placed directly below it on the lower grille.

Good luck and good choice.
BTW
One down side is its puny wheels. I replaced mine with larger ones.
Bill

Could you perhaps share a pic of your upper rack and the upgraded wheels? I rarely move anything around once it is in place, but worth considering. Thanks

I'm expecting my grill first of next week. I have read the owners manual, but was curious if you did, or recommend, anything further. I noticed in some of your pics there was foil on some surfaces. Also, on my stick burner when I seasoned it the first time I sprayed veg oil liberally over all inside surfaces and allowed that to cook in. Took what would have been a few months worth of seasoning job down to a couple hrs. Any hints you can share would be very grateful.

As far as seasoning the smoker I just followed the instruction. Didn't use any oil on the inside if I remember right.
I foil the drip pan and change that out after every cook.
I did recently seal the lid. Really don't know if it has helped much tho. Smoker maintained a even temp without the seal. With the seal I'm not loosing smoke and heat out of the top of the lid anymore
Do a test run to see if the actual temp is the same as what you have the smoker temp set at.Mine was off bout 20 degress when I got it. I called tech support on the issue and they walked me thru setting the controller to another program. Took about 5 minutes on the phone and ever since then the controller temp is spot on with the actual temp.There reasoning for the temp difference is cause they set them at thier factory in Georgia and depending on where you are located they may need to be put on a different setting for your area.
For additional smoke devices I use the Amazin smoker 12" tubes. Take up less room then the square ones and I have 3 of the tubes and I just change them out when one burns out.
The large mojo bricks work great also. I'll place one or two of them on the heat deflector plate. I buy them by the 10 lb box from the manufacture .

Assembly goes pretty easy. I did mine by myself but it would have gone much faster with another person. Installing the legs on the barrel was a pain by myself, trying to maneuver
that beast ain't fun.

:cheers:

Bill

Thank you Sir. I am really looking forward to having this, and getting a little more sleep. The price we pay for the things we like.
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:46 am

^^^^^^
Your more then welcome :D

Your going love it

Bill
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:28 am

outlaw wrote: The price we pay for the things we like.

"Iffin ya gonna play ya gotta pay" :laughing7: have a great weekend :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:35 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:
outlaw wrote: The price we pay for the things we like.

"Iffin ya gonna play ya gotta pay" :laughing7: have a great weekend :tup:

Thanks OUP, same to you Sir.
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill

Return to “Pellet Cookers and Smokers”