Traeger JR - smoke setting

Traegers, Green Mountain, Smokin Tex and all other Pellet and Wood Chip Smokers

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Kurant
Pilgrim

Traeger JR - smoke setting

Postby Kurant » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:46 pm

So I called Traeger today as my pellet smoker dipped below 125, and gave me the LEr error code.

What I don't understand is they say my smoker should on the smoke setting be between 160-200 degrees. Mine rarely reaches 160, according to the controller.

They told me to live the lid open when started 5-7 minutes instead of 10-12 which I don't totally understand why, and I was hoping someone could explain it to me. Could there be something wrong with controller?
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Re: Traeger JR - smoke setting

Postby Papa Tom » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:43 pm

First welcome to the forum.
My Traegers are the 075 Texan and have older controllers so I cannot answer directly but can give some directions.
First I only leave the lid open upon starting until I hear the fire start which is usually pretty obvious as the big smoke decreases and you can hear the "whooshing" sound of the flames.
After closing the lid the temp should rise to something like 160-200°F within 15 minutes or so.
On the "Smoke" setting pellet feed is determined by a time interval determined by the "P" setting (I think it should be preset @ 2 from the factory) so that and the weather will determine just what the temperature will settle in at.
Once the controller is turned to one of the temperature settings (like 275°) then the temperature sensor and controller take over to try to maintain that temperature.
The LEr code says that the temperature was below 125° for 10 minutes so I'm sure that is why they told you to close the lid sooner and I suggest my method of closing it when the flames start.

At this point I say just try it closing the lid sooner and see what happens but you should see the temp rise. Besides the "P" setting and the weather the pellets can make a difference on "Smoke" setting. Long pellets will burn cooler than short pellets because the auger moves fewer long pellets each cycle than short ones. The type of wood will make a difference as well alder will burn cooler than say oak or hickory. Once you turn to a temperature setting though those factors would only affect the temperature stability (over and under the set temp).
tarde venientibus ossa....
Kurant
Pilgrim

Re: Traeger JR - smoke setting

Postby Kurant » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:45 pm

Thanks for the response.

My particular controller does not have the P setting button, it is covered over by a metal piece.

That is why I was asking if it could be something wrong with my controller. My next smoke I will give your method a try. Thank you!

Return to “Pellet Cookers and Smokers”