Got my first one

Traegers, Green Mountain, Smokin Tex and all other Pellet and Wood Chip Smokers

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Beltboy
Pilgrim

Got my first one

Postby Beltboy » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:15 am

So after a week with an offset smoker andnot being able to figure out how to properly manage the fire I decided on a pellet grill/smoker.
Thanks to all who post for the educations!
I was able to get the Camp Chef pg24 deluxe for $399 at Dicks yesterday. Normally $599 but on sale for $499pkus another 20% off yesterday for their June cyber Monday.
Thought it was a great deal and should be much easier to slow cook and smoke with than the fire with a bigger smoker!
Any suggestions on what to do first to get it all prepped and ready?
I didn't know what pellets to get so I got the camp chef competition bags, mix of cherry/ maple/ and hickory I think? I personally like pecan but didn't see any at dicks.
Also I've read a little that if I want more smoke in the pellet grill I may need a special pellet smoke box??? Anyone have a link?
Thanks all
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Re: Got my first one

Postby outlaw » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:11 am

Beltboy wrote:So after a week with an offset smoker and not being able to figure out how to properly manage the fire I decided on a pellet grill/smoker.
Thanks to all who post for the educations!
I was able to get the Camp Chef pg24 deluxe for $399 at Dicks yesterday. Normally $599 but on sale for $499pkus another 20% off yesterday for their June cyber Monday.
Thought it was a great deal and should be much easier to slow cook and smoke with than the fire with a bigger smoker!
Any suggestions on what to do first to get it all prepped and ready?
I didn't know what pellets to get so I got the camp chef competition bags, mix of cherry/ maple/ and hickory I think? I personally like pecan but didn't see any at dicks.
Also I've read a little that if I want more smoke in the pellet grill I may need a special pellet smoke box??? Anyone have a link?
Thanks all

A whole week, Huh? It takes years my friend to master a fire. A pellet grill is probably a good alternative for you. I have one ordered as well, kinda like my sleep now. Look at the pellet grill section listed below and you will find lots of good info. Here is a link to a smoke tube on Amazon, but you can find them lots of places.

https://www.amazon.com/Perforated-Stain ... tube&psc=1
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:31 am

At first I sort of agreed with the above comments, but after thinking about it a while I changed my mind.
I struggled a long time before surrendering to the pellet side, should have bought mine a LONG time ago...
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:55 am

You'll enjoy the Camp Chef. Its what I use most of the time unless I am smoking for more than just my family.

Nothing wrong with keeping the offset around, you know, in case you get the itch and have some beer to drink.....
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:00 pm

Agreed, I got to where I hated being glued to my stickburner for endless hours but now that I sold it to a buddy, I miss the dang thing!
Still have the old upright with side mounted firebox though, and as soon as it cools off around here I'm going to make smoke the old fashioned way...
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:17 pm

Chasdev wrote:Agreed, I got to where I hated being glued to my stickburner for endless hours but now that I sold it to a buddy, I miss the dang thing!
Still have the old upright with side mounted firebox though, and as soon as it cools off around here I'm going to make smoke the old fashioned way...

I don't know about y'all down Austin way, but it ain't getting any cooler here in DFW. That's another reason I ordered the Rec tec.
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:29 pm

I just assumed he was talking about December

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:54 pm

200 % wet here today (without rain) and heat index of 105 - - - I probably could have done those wings on the sidewalk and saved charcoal :texas:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:16 pm

Good buy and you'll be pleased.
If you got cherry/ maple/ and hickory pellet mix that is a excellent combo.
I going to tell you that you DO NOT need any ancillary smoke device buy it if you want but learn to use the machine you bought.
Those things seem to be a crutch for folks and I say it one one more thing you don't need unless you want to cold smoke some cheese. (BTW I have a 0$ homemade one I keep for just that purpose).

Go read what other folks are saying about their pellet pits, learn your machine and enjoy!.
tarde venientibus ossa....
wbbq USER_AVATAR
WBBQ
Bandolero

Postby WBBQ » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:23 pm

^^^^^^^
What he said. I started with using no added smoke source by manipulating the temperature, etc. But still found it lacking smoke flavor. I have a Blazn Grill Works Grid Iron, it uses an efficient controller without a smoke setting so I ended up buying a Amaz'n smoke tube and just recently bought a Blaz'n Smoker Pro smoke box. Good luck, and like Papa Tom said, learn your smoker you may find tou don't need a smoke tube.

Weldon
Weldon

Lone Star Grillz Large Cabinet Smoker
Old Country Pecos Smoker
Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron Pellet Smoker
Monolith BBQ Guru Edition Kamado Smoker
Sunterra 36" Santa Maria Grill
Weber Gas Grill

Return to “Pellet Cookers and Smokers”