Picked up the Yoder yesterday!

Traegers, Green Mountain, Smokin Tex and all other Pellet and Wood Chip Smokers

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

SmokeNHops
Wrangler

Picked up the Yoder yesterday!

Postby SmokeNHops » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:42 pm

Got the YS640 yesterday from my buddy. Got it sitting in the backyard ready to rumble this weekend. I'm thinking about a brisket, couple shoulders, potato bombs, and maybe some jalapenos for it's first (to me) voyage.

What is everyone's favorite pellet? I've read good things on Lumberjack and the guy I bought it off of recommended the B&B pellets.
UDS - Not so ugly, but I may be biased ;)
Yoder YS640
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Re: Picked up the Yoder yesterday!

Postby Okie Sawbones » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:13 pm

Man I hate B&B. Lumberjack is okay, but leaves a lot of ash. CooknPellets is my favorite by far.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
SmokeNHops
Wrangler

Postby SmokeNHops » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:41 pm

Thanks Okie. Do you like the 100% Hickory or their Perfect Mix? I just ordered the 40lb 100% hickory off Amazon with free one-day shipping so I'll be ready by Saturday morning.
Yoder YS640
bobcat1 USER_AVATAR
bobcat1
Outlaw

Postby bobcat1 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:34 pm

Congrats on the Yoder! Just a heads up I ordered cheaper straight from Cookinpellets than any price I saw on Amazon. I like the Perfect mix. I'll try hickory next.

https://cookinpellets.com/product/40-lbs-pm/

https://cookinpellets.com/product/40-lb ... y-pellets/
Last edited by bobcat1 on Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:35 pm

I use perfect mix combined with an A-Maze-N smoker. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007ROPJ1M/ref=asc_df_B007ROPJ1M5095211/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395033&creativeASIN=B007ROPJ1M&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167145798705&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16045760332518641023&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9023787&hvtargid=pla-309734814916

I have apple, cherry, peach, hickory, and mesquite pellets in 5 gallon buckets with lids. I use them in the A-Maze-N according to the meat. With brisket, I use a hickory and mesquite mix.

Have fun with your cook. :chef:
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
SmokeNHops
Wrangler

Postby SmokeNHops » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:10 pm

Shoot, they're way cheaper direct! What do they charge for shipping? I probably would've ordered from Amazon anyway because I'm antsy to cook this weekend and prime one day shipping got me. :laughing7:
Yoder YS640
bobcat1 USER_AVATAR
bobcat1
Outlaw

Postby bobcat1 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:27 pm

SmokeNHops wrote:Shoot, they're way cheaper direct! What do they charge for shipping? I probably would've ordered from Amazon anyway because I'm antsy to cook this weekend and prime one day shipping got me. :laughing7:

Shipping was free when I ordered but I was in no hurry but they got here fast. :blues: :shadenana:
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:50 pm

For perfect blend pellets at 40 bucks a bag thru Amazon shipping ain't exactly free. :|
I ordered a pallot of them from cooking pellets.com for 24 bucks a bag inc shipping
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:14 am

I buy by the pallet from CookinPellets. 15 40-lb. bags shipped to my door for $370.00. Hickory is a little more. If you are using a smoke generator of any kind, the brand of pellets doesn't matter that much. I use BBQr's Delight, because they burn well, and you can get a host of fruit and nut wood pellets.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
SmokeNHops
Wrangler

Postby SmokeNHops » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:48 am

Are you using a smoke generator in addition to a pellet grill?
Yoder YS640
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:58 am

Absolutely. Above 180F you won't get much smoke at all from pellets. That's why some folks cook at 160F for a couple of hours, then increase the temperature.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
SmokeNHops
Wrangler

Postby SmokeNHops » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:27 am

Sounds like I'll need to get a tube then.

I've got two pork shoulders, two Chuck roasts and some baked potatoes for the cook today. Pics to come.
Yoder YS640
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:43 am

Yo SmokeNHops - - - check your PM and Good Luck with the Cook :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
SmokeNHops
Wrangler

Postby SmokeNHops » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:01 am

Hola folks.

First comment is that I really enjoyed the Yoder. Easy to maintain temp (obviously), my wife didn't complain about me smelling like a campfire, and tons of surface area for the cook. My major concerns going in were bark formation and smoke flavor. I was really happy with the bark I was able to get on the beef with 6 hours on the smoke so I know I'll be able to get some decent bark on a full packer when I do that. As for the smoke flavor, it definitely wasn't as pronounced as my UDS but I knew that going in. I also used Hickory pellets where as on the drum I've loved Oak Lump and Oak chunks so perhaps the hickory flavor is a little more subtle. On a longer cook I'm hoping I'll be able to get more smoke into the meat or perhaps I'll have to use some supplementary methods already suggested in here. I didn't realize it but the Costco shoulders I bought had the bones removed so I was worried due to the shape after the butcher work that some parts may dry out. For that reason, I wrapped sooner than I normally would have (around 155).

The chuck roast burnt ends dried out for me a little bit but I may be too hard on myself. The people that I brought them to for dinner raved about them and texted me the next morning letting me know he was eating them cold for breakfast, too.

For the Potatoes I took an apple corer and cored the center of them. After that, I made a cheese blend (cream cheese, cheddar, goat cheese, and some seasoning). I picked jalapenos from the backyard, stuffed them with the cheese blend and then stuffed the potatoes with the jalapenos :laughing7: . They turned out pretty good off the grill but didn't quite have enough mixture without adding some extra sour cream or bbq sauce onto the baker when it was cut open.

Here are some pics.
On Rack.jpg

On Pit.jpg

Stuffed Potato.jpg

Cubed.jpg

Burnt Ends & Potatos.jpg
Yoder YS640
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:08 am

Fun, huh? Looks great.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
VFW - Life, DAV - Life

Return to “Pellet Cookers and Smokers”