Adding wood to burn chamber in pellet spitter?

Traegers, Green Mountain, Smokin Tex and all other Pellet and Wood Chip Smokers

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Adding wood to burn chamber in pellet spitter?

Postby Chasdev » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:48 am

School me guys, why can't I introduce small chunks of wood into the burn chamber where the pellets get dropped?
I've read about people using small tubes or containers to hold extra wood, but where would these go, next to the burn chamber, across the top?
I don't plan on buying or using a tube or box for extra wood chips but am interested in adding chips of oak where the pellets burn.
bondobill
Outlaw

Re: Adding wood to burn chamber in pellet spitter?

Postby bondobill » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:29 pm

I wouldn't try it.
Multitude of issues I would guess....too much ash, plugged auger, uncontrolled burn and a very good reason for the manufacturer to void warranty.

Bill
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:34 pm

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

4 outa 4 ain't bad :tup: :salut: :cheers:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bobcat1 USER_AVATAR
bobcat1
Outlaw

Postby bobcat1 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:36 pm

No chance I would do that :texas:
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:45 pm

This is "only" my experience with MY Pit Boss BUT I have found that, if I am patient and allow my Ribs or whatever to go for 60 to 90 minutes on the Smoke setting and THEN finish with a lower temp around 225 to 250, it adds plenty of smoke flavor and OF COURSE a little time. Why would I want to do ribs, brisket or anything else, if I didn't have the "time" :?: :dont: "let the flaming begin" :whiteflag: :laughing7: :D :lol:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:29 pm

Why, when it is easy to add a smoke generator?
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:15 pm

I bought one and tried it but it just didn't work for me and it took up needed space - - - - :dont:

Now you also have to remember that I have a 340 which is smaller than most of Y'alls and I'm perfectly happy with using the smoke setting :D
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:20 pm

I'm with OUP on this you don't need nuthin' xtra.....
I'm also thinkin' "Why put xtra wood in the wood burner thing when it is all nicely controlled as designed".

I know, I know it all seems too easy and there must be sumptin else to do..........NAH.
tarde venientibus ossa....
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:13 pm

Two reasons, one I like a strong oak flavor on my beef plate ribs and two, I'm going to cook with a insulated blanket (sold by CampChef) installed, plus it's projected to be 106 tomorrow so there is a chance the cook chamber temp may reach shut off temp (of the feeder) before it otherwise would and therefore I get fewer pellets burning in the fire "box"..
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:38 pm

I have put an old hubcap in my smoker, filled with wood chunks I lit with a hand torch. It worked, but it is easier to use pellets.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:08 pm

Chasdev wrote:Two reasons, one I like a strong oak flavor on my beef plate ribs and two, I'm going to cook with a insulated blanket (sold by CampChef) installed, plus it's projected to be 106 tomorrow so there is a chance the cook chamber temp may reach shut off temp (of the feeder) before it otherwise would and therefore I get fewer pellets burning in the fire "box"..

When it is 106°F it doesn't sound like a day for a jacket however the controller will adjust the feed to the set temperature. If the chamber temperature doesn't fall below the set temperature the controller will continue to feed pellets at a rate determined by the "P" setting. I have experienced remarkably low pellet usage on hot July days.
BTW oak is my go-to pellet. If I want other flavor I use the flavor pellet (like hickory on pork) during the first hour or so on the "Smoke" setting.

Those that use auxiliary smoke devices (I do not) place them on the grate toward the edge where there is some air flow.
tarde venientibus ossa....
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:31 am

After sleeping on it, I've decided to run without the heat blanket..I want that thing spitting all the pellets it can...
It will be in the shade until around 1:00PM but the sun will heat it up after that, I may need to figure out a tent to keep the temps down!
My stick burner temps would go up quite a bit when the black metal got full sun..
About to get smoking, soon as I get the rest of this coffee down my gullet..pics later today, I hope.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:39 am

Good Luck, C.D. I'm fixing to put a rack of St. Louis Cut Memphis Dry Ribs in my Pellet Pooper - - so we'll be sending Pellet Smoke Signals back and forth :tup: :salut: :chef:
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:36 am

Fingers crossed, this my first time with a spitter..
Already a bit confused, it smoked like crazy on high smoke for a few minutes but now that it's up to 220 it stopped smoking completely for a while and just now started dropping single pellets and emitting a thin trail of smoke..
I was hoping high smoke would scare my neighbors...but at least it's started up smoking a little again, so that's good.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:46 am

Nature of "those Beasts" I guess - - - I had to monitor my first few cooks and learn just what they were doing - - - I'm also starting to believe that certain pellets may provide more "visible smoke" than others - - - I'm using Apple and I haven't seen as much smoke as I usually do cooking the very same way and the same settings - - - - maybe it's like watching water boil HAHAHAHAHAHA :chef: :salut:

Return to “Pellet Cookers and Smokers”