Traegers, Green Mountain, Smokin Tex and all other Pellet and Wood Chip Smokers

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

bobcat1 USER_AVATAR
bobcat1
Outlaw

Camp Chef temperature swings

Postby bobcat1 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:07 pm

I sent an email to Camp Chef about this and this is their response:

"Congratulations on your LUX Pellet Grill. It sounds like your grill is working the way it was designed to. The grill is designed to fluctuate within 20 degrees of the controller setting. On HIGH smoke, the temp setting is about 220, then it can fluctuate 20 degrees above or below 220. Therefore on high smoke can be anywhere from 200 to 240. That is normal, and that is what produces more smoke on the High and Low Smoke settings.
Let us know if you have any other questions or concerns, and we will be happy to help. Have a good day.
Best Regards,
Camp Chef"

I think 40 degrees is a little much. What say ye?
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Re: Camp Chef temperature swings

Postby Papa Tom » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:39 pm

No. The setting is "Hi Smoke" and the way to produce that is to dump a fairly large load of pellets on the smoldering remains of the previous load.
Actually that swing is not exceptional on other settings depending on the environmental conditions.
Still worried,? Go check the temperature swings of the oven in your kitchen......

Some Pellet cookers have a PID controller and they do hold a pretty tight temperature, the downside very little smoke produced.
I started to build a PID controller for one of my cookers then decided nope I'm into smoke cookin' . PID is still in the box somewhere but it's been several years so hard telling where "somewhere" is.
tarde venientibus ossa....
bobcat1 USER_AVATAR
bobcat1
Outlaw

Re: Camp Chef temperature swings

Postby bobcat1 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:00 pm

Thanks Papa T.

Return to “Pellet Cookers and Smokers”