Seardaddy for Pellet poopers

Traegers, Green Mountain, Smokin Tex and all other Pellet and Wood Chip Smokers

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Polekitty
Pilgrim

Seardaddy for Pellet poopers

Postby Polekitty » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:41 pm

I got one of these Seardaddys for Christmas from Smokedaddy and tried it out a couple of weeks ago and it worked great. It fits in over the fire pot after removing the drain pan and the flame director. You can use your pellet cooker just like you would a regular charcoal grill for grilling steaks and such. I'm new to this forum and will try to attach pics so all can see.
This is after I installed it in my Camp Chef DLX
IMG_0099.jpg

This is after I installed the flavor rails and lava rocks.
IMG_0103.jpg

And this is after I put my Char Griller cast iron grates in that fit perfectly.
IMG_0105.jpg

The instructions say to set the temp to High which was way to high so I turned it down to 350. That worked out great. Threw some chicken breasts on and this thing cooked just like my charcoal grill does. I only shut the lid for about a minute or two before opening to turn them over. After I cooked the breasts I tossed a 16oz ribeye on and cooked it just like I would on the charcoal grill and it came out great.

I got my pellet smoker back in July and haven't done anything on it until now but smoke which it does great and haven't had any problems at all with it. I'm very glad I found this thing so I can start grillin again which to me nothing tastes better than a grilled steak. :cheers:
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Re: Seardaddy for Pellet poopers

Postby JustinCouch » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:14 pm

I wish I had a covered place to put one.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:38 pm

?lava rocks? nothing personal but leave me out :whiteflag:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
Polekitty
Pilgrim

Postby Polekitty » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:47 am

Yeah, there to catch the drippings. Not a big fan of them either, but gotta use something. They will have to be replaced often.
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:52 pm

no disrespect....
Charcoal is cheaper than pellets, I just bought 640 pound of pellets trying to get the price down, got it to about $.60 per pound.
charcoal can be bought for 2 18 lb bags for $10 that is a price of about $.27 per pound.
So you can see where I am going, I will continue to use the webber for steaks & chicken and the pellet cooker for the truly smoked items...
I guess this is why my patio looks like a BBQ store.... :laughing7:
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:34 pm

spacetrucker wrote:no disrespect....
Charcoal is cheaper than pellets, I just bought 640 pound of pellets trying to get the price down, got it to about $.60 per pound.
charcoal can be bought for 2 18 lb bags for $10 that is a price of about $.27 per pound.
So you can see where I am going, I will continue to use the webber for steaks & chicken and the pellet cooker for the truly smoked items...
I guess this is why my patio looks like a BBQ store.... :laughing7:

^^^^^^^
Agree
Besides the cost...hard to beat a kettle for grilling.

Bill
Polekitty
Pilgrim

Postby Polekitty » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:47 pm

No disrespect taken Spacetrucker. Yes you correct charcoal is less expensive then pellets. I'm not spending $384 bucks for pellets and having to worry about where I'm going to store 640 lbs. of anything when I can buy premium 100% flavor LJ pellets for $.133 a lb. any day of the week. And yes I too can buy 36 lbs. of charcoal for $9.95 when the big box hardware stores have it on sale during certain times of the year. Don't get me wrong, nothing tastes better then cooking over an open charcoal fire and tossing soaked wood chunks in from time to time and I enjoy doing it very much when I have the time. If I have this Seardaddy contraption in my DLX, I can be cooking over an open fire in 10 minutes and I can't do that with charcoal. I still get a wood flavor just not as strong as doing it the old fashion way.
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:47 pm

I tend to agree with everybody but also like the idea of the Sear Daddy I don't need one because i have a pellet cooker with direct heat.
The Sear Daddy gives the pellet cooker direct heat cooking capability for far less than I paid for mine and it may actually work better.
I like the kettle too but havent used mine in a month of Sundays.....
tarde venientibus ossa....

Return to “Pellet Cookers and Smokers”