Yoder YS 640

Traegers, Green Mountain, Smokin Tex and all other Pellet and Wood Chip Smokers

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Re: Yoder YS 640

Postby outlaw » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:21 am

Here is a picture of the heat diffuser. See the raised sides? When I took mine apart the guy was using it upside down. Can anyone see a reason why, or was this simply a "stuck on stupid" moment like we all have from time to time. The previous owner was a real nice guy and seemed fairly knowledgeable with a passion for cooking. I'm thinking it was just an error on his part.
Attachments
ys640_08.jpg
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:27 am

Altho I have my share of S.O.S. moments, I'm thinking that after he finished cleaning from his last cook, he just stuck it back in there knowing he was going to sell it. :dont:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:32 am

OldUsedParts wrote:Altho I have my share of S.O.S. moments, I'm thinking that after he finished cleaning from his last cook, he just stuck it back in there knowing he was going to sell it. :dont:

Nope, he didn't foil so it was evident which side was exposed to the flame and which to the food. Wire brush on a drill cleaned it right up though.
Bayou Classic Ceramic
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:36 am

:salut: :cheers:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:20 am

Nice score Outlaw

Not familiar with the Yoder but where is the fire pot located? End or center of chamber ?
PO may or may not have been on to something running the plate upside down :!:
With the ridges facing down maybe the PO thought the grease plate would direct most the heat and smoke to the high end as in the left side and then exit out the chimney on the other end. Kinda like a off set smoker. Who knows :dont:
I do know that I need to wrap the foil tight on the grease plate on my pellet. Loose edges flooping around on the bottom side can mess with even temps thru out the grille.
RecTecs Tech dept. had to school me on that. :oops:

Bill
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:45 am

Interior layout of Yoder showing firebox placement. Good tip on the tight foil, thanks.
Attachments
ys640_09.jpg
Bayou Classic Ceramic
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:53 am

:salut: :cheers: you are doing your homework, Friend, such a shame to get that all dirty and greasy again :dont:
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:00 pm

OldUsedParts wrote::salut: :cheers: you are doing your homework, Friend, such a shame to get that all dirty and greasy again :dont:

Those are pics from the yoder website, but I have mine almost that clean. Just need some citrus based cleaner to finish up. Leaves no residue. :salut: :salut:
Bayou Classic Ceramic
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:11 pm

Got me a couple slabs of St Louis for the virgin run Saturday, but check out what I found for a pellet storage solution. Best to not let me go to the store unsupervised. I think they will be perfect though.
Attachments
20180201_134958.jpg
20180201_134932.jpg
Bayou Classic Ceramic
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:51 pm

Joy Toys - - - Woo Hoo - - - you have been bitten by da bug, Sir, and it's gonna get worse so get ready :salut: :cheers:

Looking forward to the Reebz Initiation :tup:
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:23 am

Finally got a couple racks of St. L on the Yoder. Well, it was a rocky start, and I'm not convinced everything is as it should be. What they don't tell you in the owners manual is best way to do things, you have to go to the website and look at the forum. I put a handful of pellet in the firebox, hit start and set temp to 250. Well, the true way to do it one this one is start it up, let it run for 30 min at default temp of 350 and then set temp , load food and walk away. Don't sweat what the controller is telling you, just let it do it's work. So after restarting a couple times I did what they suggested and I haven't even looked at it again.

Only on first fire up was there any visible smoke, now just pure clean clear smoke. I'm excited to see how this turns out.
Bayou Classic Ceramic
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:38 am

Getting that FIRST ONE under your belt is a hair puller - - - you'll be just fine and ?IF? you don't have enuff SMOKE FLAVOR then do sumptin different next time :tup: :salut:
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:58 am

OldUsedParts wrote:Getting that FIRST ONE under your belt is a hair puller - - - you'll be just fine and ?IF? you don't have enuff SMOKE FLAVOR then do sumptin different next time :tup: :salut:

I know the smoke flavor will be less than what I am used to on my stick burner, but these pellets may very well compensate since I just burn Oak in the SB.

This is what I am using for this one:
Attachments
40-lbs-PM.jpg
Bayou Classic Ceramic
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:02 pm

The "only" way I was able to up my smoke flavor was to lengthen my low temp cooking at the beginning and it worked HOWEVER, I'm sure that different Grills and Pellets are ?well? different :dont: I have an AMAZ'N pellet tray that you can have if you want it. :dont:
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:19 pm

Good choice on the pellets Outlaw
I've burned thru bout 600 lb of the Perfect blend in the last year.

Good advice from Em on lower temps. Youll get more smoke flavor with the lower temps. Ive got a couple of racks of ribs in my pellet that I started 5 hours ago. Running it at 225. Not ready to wrap yet.
No point in getting in a hurry, game don't start for another 5 hours :lol:

Bill

Return to “Pellet Cookers and Smokers”