Water Pans?

Traegers, Green Mountain, Smokin Tex and all other Pellet and Wood Chip Smokers

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Raider18
Cowboy

Water Pans?

Postby Raider18 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:15 am

I’m a UDS guy swimming in the pellet pool, so far I like the ease, but have questions. Are water pans good or bad? Smoke tube or smoke feature for a few hours? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Water Pans?

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:34 am

hey Raider, I'm still a Pellet Newbie after two years HOWEVER, I can never see me using a water pan in my Pit Boss for any reason - - - maybe some others will offer up some actual experience with a water pan and pellet pooper :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:24 am

I have used the smoke tube, the ones you fill with pellets then light with a torch, and let smolder, also used the, I think its called amazing rib smoker, the one that burns a trail of sawdust, each one does seem to impart a slightly elevated smoke profile in the finished product, however to me, not enough to mess with the gadgets. Just my $.02... every one has a different taste preference and perception
never monkeyed around with a water pan in a pellet cooker, i read where lots of folks like to use them
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:20 am

I use a water pan in my 680 when I do brisket.
I built a upr rack for my RecTec. I place brisket on top rack with a pan of water on the bottom rack. Does water pan help. :dont:
I'm still a rookie when it comes to smoking brisket. Maybe have done 10 of them now. First couple I didn't use a water pan and where kinda dry. Since I started using a water pan Ive been very happy with the results. Now whether the water pan is the reason the briskets are turning out better or is it because I'm catching on a little on how to smoke a brisket I cant tell ya. :dont:

I quess Ill find out if the water pan makes a difference here at the end of the month. Going be smoking up some brisket for my Rotary club lunch. Need to squeeze 3 maybe 4 briskets in the 680. Aint going have any room for a water pan me thinks.

I do use a 12" smoker tube or 2 if I have room. I Also use Mojobricks placed on the fire box deflector plate. If you get a smoker tube get the rectangular one, they wont roll around on ya like the round ones.

Bill
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:16 am

More info on Mojobricks please!
How long will one cube smoke?
Do you place it directly on the plate that covers the burn "hole" and do you light it or does the heat from the plate get it smoking?
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:24 am

You place the bricks on the fire pot deflector plate. No need to light them, they'll start on thier own. They'll go 3 or 4 hours. I usually put 2 on the plate to start and don't add any after that. They're kinda of pricey in the small packs. You get the best deal on them ordering directly from the manufacturer. I order them by the 10lb box, Way cheaper per brick that way.

image.jpeg
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:43 am

Yo Wild Bill, are they for adding smoke or heat ? :dont:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:33 am

Smoke, Em

Return to “Pellet Cookers and Smokers”