Jack Daniels branded pellets!?

Traegers, Green Mountain, Smokin Tex and all other Pellet and Wood Chip Smokers

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Jack Daniels branded pellets!?

Postby Chasdev » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:15 pm

I'm gearing up to pelletize a packer in the morning but found my oak pellet bin running lean so off on a pellet search I go..
No joy until I run across these Jack Daniels pellets which are mixed spent charcoal from filtering whiskey mixed with retired barrel wood, they are almost black.
I took a chance and brought some home and did a test burn in my smoke snake and I must say the smoke smells great very much like a stick burner's smoke profile.
Anyone run across these before, they are new to me..
Attachments
DSC00200.JPG
DSC00205.JPG
DSC00204.JPG
DSC00201.JPG
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Jack Daniels branded pellets!?

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:28 pm

I've seen them but never bought any - - - - that may change after your Pellet Report :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:36 pm

once you cook something with them give us a taste comparison compared to what you usually use and finally if you would recommend the pellets, and don't forget the temperature swings?
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:33 pm

Update..great brisket but the pellets are somewhat of a fail.
Cooker held temp at 158/162 on "low smoke" but there was not a lot of smoke produced (for those who don't have a CampChef, low smoke is the highest smoke setting with LOTS of smoke produced using normal pellets).
My plan was to run three hours on low smoke then turn it up to hot and fast,at 350 however I could not get it to run that high even when I turned it up to highest settings.
I dumped the J/D pellets and added B+B oak and the smoke appeared along with proper temps according to what I selected.
I ran a smoke snake with J/D and while it did not produce a ton of smoke the meat's smoke profile did increase/improve over B+B alone.
In future I'll mix 2/3rds B+B with 1/3rd JD and see if that produces the best of both worlds.
I cooked three hours on low smoke (160 degrees) then after changing to B+B one more hour on low smoke then went to 350 for 4 hours with aluminum foil wrap when it hit 180.
I used a water pan and cooked fat side down and the flat came out tender as could be, probably the best flat ever for me.
So, no to 100% J/D pellets, at least in my CampChef DLX, but yes to them as a blend and a snake fuel as I still like the smoke smell and taste added.
Attachments
DSC00207.JPG
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:42 pm

thanks for the follow up, C.D. :salut: sorry they didn't work out for ya :dont:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:53 pm

No worries, it came out very tasty indeed and the J/D pellets added to the bark and flavor.
I guess they are a flavor enhancer rather than a "run-em straight" deal or perhaps a good 24 hour cook alternative.
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:39 am

be careful with the temperatures, when you mix the pellets you may effect the temperature profile? possibly the best of both may be to run the B&B for temp control and the JD in the side smoker snake or what ever the device is you are using?
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:17 pm

Running a bag through mixed with B&B definitely about 20% less heat profile but decent flavor and very clean burning.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:40 am

Well no surprise in the reduced smoke output since the JD pellets are part charcoal which doesn't produce smoke.
As for temps I'm kinda surprised In that I'd think a mix of oak and charcoal would produce good heat. The flavor profile should be nice in that you are getting all those awful bourbon impurities.....
Thanks for the review, like OUP I'd seen the pellets but hadn't tried them. I do like BBQ Delight products.
tarde venientibus ossa....

Return to “Pellet Cookers and Smokers”