Ribs Tonight

Traegers, Green Mountain, Smokin Tex and all other Pellet and Wood Chip Smokers

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

rms827 USER_AVATAR
rms827
Bandolero

Ribs Tonight

Postby rms827 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:30 am

I mentioned this in my Whiskey Barrel thread, and figured I'd post a couple of pics here.

As I've mentioned before, I'm a 3-2-1 blasphemer and don't follow that pattern. Ribs never came close to developing any bark, and all that apple cider basting made the ribs too sweet. After a little experimenting, I've settled on marinating the ribs overnight in my family's sauce, drying them and dry rubbing them, then straight thru slow cooking them on the Rec Tec. I baste every so often with the sauce too, so the ribs stay moist.

The pic here reflects a little experimenting with the sauce this time, as well as the smoker running hot for the first half of the cook. The traditional way my family makes our sauce is fairly thin (in true South Texas style). The base is 1 part Catsup to 2 parts water. This time I wanted to thicken it up a bit, so I went 1 to 1. The extra heat and thickness of the sauce combined to get it sticking good to the ribs. It was almost like eating a honey sauce, LOL. As y'all can see though, I managed a nice smoke ring with those Louisiana Grills pellets.

Despite the temperature issues,I managed to get the meat right in terms of it not falling off the bone, but coming off clean with a light pull. Here's a bone I "cleaned" :mrgreen:

Rec Tec 680
Weber 22" Premium Kettle Grill in Green

"Nobody Beats Me in the Kitchen" - Casey Ryback (Steven Seagal - Under Siege 2)
Life's Too Short for Bad BBQ.
bobcat1 USER_AVATAR
bobcat1
Outlaw

Re: Ribs Tonight

Postby bobcat1 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:36 am

Those look perfect!
dabertl USER_AVATAR
daBertl
Bandolero

Postby daBertl » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:41 am

i´d like to try but i can only see that my monitor tastes bad :lol:
Extra Bavaria non est vita, et si est vita, non est ita.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:55 am

:tup: :salut: :cheers:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:43 am

Goood looking ribs bud :salut:

Bill
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:22 am

I like to cook ribs closer to the hot and fast method rather than low and, you know..
rms827 USER_AVATAR
rms827
Bandolero

Postby rms827 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:35 pm

Chasdev wrote:I like to cook ribs closer to the hot and fast method rather than low and, you know..

That's the great thing about cooking; it's an art, not a science. There's no one "right" way to do almost anything. You should post how you do them and a few pics, Chasdev. It'd give us a chance to give that way a try also. :salut:

Gotta admit, I do love my slow and low though. I get great smoke flavor along with that tender meat. Now if I could just get that slight bark a good hot fire provides. Leftovers for dinner tonight too. YEEEHAW!

Thanks for all the kind words everybody, both here and my other cook posts. :D
Rec Tec 680

bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:19 am

I’ve never marinated ribs but I gotta say, those look perfectly cooked. Very nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rms827 USER_AVATAR
rms827
Bandolero

Postby rms827 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:29 pm

bsooner75 wrote:I’ve never marinated ribs but I gotta say, those look perfectly cooked. Very nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it was my mom that started that aspect of the process. Neither she nor my first step dad were good with a grill, so they'd marinate them in the oven for a few hours, then toss them on the charcoal grill and try to finish them before the coals went out, LOL.

Me, I tried doing them cold in the fridge "overnight" (went in late in the evening) as an experiment and it's worked out good. Needless to say, you need a thin sauce to pull this off. That bottled stuff out there just doesn't work. Anyway, 4 to 6 hours seems to let the sauce work into the meat without drowning out the flavor of the ribs. Just make sure both are cold. :D
Rec Tec 680

Return to “Pellet Cookers and Smokers”