Yard bird.

Traegers, Green Mountain, Smokin Tex and all other Pellet and Wood Chip Smokers

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

bondobill
Outlaw

Yard bird.

Postby bondobill » Sun May 06, 2018 10:26 am

Looking at all the bird on here later got me hungry for some.
Picked up a 6 pounder.
Got to agree with Justins comment about it being a shame a bird only has 2 thighs so I picked up some extra thighs. :lol:
I cut the bird in half and along with the thighs put everything in a simple brine of Kosher salt and brown sugar for 6 hours.

Out of the brine and rinsed the bird parts, they all got a healthy dose of SBs Texas Pecan and Clucker dust.
IMG_6220.JPG

I had enough Apple mash pellets for maybe 2 hours of smoke in the hopper so I added some perfect mix pellets on top. I set the pellet cooker at 180 on extreme smoke. After bout a hour and a half I cranked grille up to 300.

One half of the bird got a mix of SBs Chipotle BBQ and Honey sauce. The thighs and the other half got SBs Mustard BBQ sauce.
IMG_6222.JPG

It was good eating, Thanks to Gator :salut:
I like all of Gators sauces but his Mustard BBQ sauce has become our favorite. :cheers:

Bill
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Yard bird.

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun May 06, 2018 11:24 am

Dang Wild Bill, you have raised that bar and of all times, when I'm thinking about beer can'n one ManYawner :tup: :salut: In 12 days I'll be brining my first thighs or any bird as far as that goes so I may have to save a copy of yours and post it out by the Pit as a when to eat scale. :laughing7: :lol: :D

If you don't mind can you give me a "simple" play by play of time and temps you did the thighs on the Pellet Pooper :?: :dont:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Sun May 06, 2018 12:45 pm

Morning Em :D well it's still morning here anyways. :lol:

I put the bird in the smoker set at 180. I ran it at that for a little better then a 1 1/2 hours. My grille smokes real good at that temp.
The thighs had a IT around 130-135 when I cranked the temp up to 300. The thighs finished well ahead of the halves. With the grille set at 300 it took another 45 minutes to a hour to finish up the thighs. I took the thighs off when IT on them was between 180-185. I won't cook nothing without a good meat thermometer.

One thing I didn't have time for on this cook was letting the bird dry out in the fridge for a couple hours after taking them out of the brine and patting them dry. That really seems to help with making for crisper skin.

Bill
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sun May 06, 2018 5:25 pm

Bill, I don't know if you've done a beer butt bird, I've done a few now oup put me onto it. Best ever way to do birds, IMHO.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
castironchris USER_AVATAR
castironchris
Bandolero

Postby castironchris » Mon May 07, 2018 5:55 am

Dang good lookin bird!!
Weber 22" with SlownSear
Weber Smokey Mountain 22"

Return to “Pellet Cookers and Smokers”