Question for you pellet guys

Traegers, Green Mountain, Smokin Tex and all other Pellet and Wood Chip Smokers

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Question for you pellet guys

Postby bsooner75 » Fri May 18, 2018 7:29 am

I need some input. I’ve got zero knowledge when it comes to pellet poopers and really no interest because I like tinkering with the fire. Plus my cabinet lets me tinker with fire a little and get long periods of steady temps to get things done.

Anyway, I’ve been asked many times to recommend a pellet pooper and I’ve got nuthin’. Most recently is a friend looking to buy one as a gift. Budget is $400 - $500. The person receiving the gift has zero bbq experience but wants to get into it.

Personally I recommended a Pit Barrel cooker or a Woody UDS. I feel like these will be easy to maintain temps and learn how to monitor a fire before moving to pellets of still interested…similar to learning to drive a standard before an automatic.

What are you guys thoughts on a pooper as a first smoker? Also, what would you recommend in that price range? Thanks for sharing your smarts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Re: Question for you pellet guys

Postby TX1911 » Fri May 18, 2018 8:15 am

It depends on your friend, quite honestly. Are they the kind who is willing to suffer some poor bbq while they learn an offset or a cabinet cooker? Or do they want to get it right (or close thereto) the first time?

I think a pellet pooper is a good first pit, but it would create the possibility of never branching out beyond that.

I think that Pit Boss has one in that price range, and I know Camp Chef does, because I got one and I love it.
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Fri May 18, 2018 8:48 am

Camp Chef.
My brother and a close friend of mine each bought one within the last year. They both love them.
Ive cooked on my buddies. Nice little unit. On smoke mode they really pour out the smoke compared to my RecTec. His was a little unsteady on temp. I noticed with it set at 225 it would drop to as low as 200 then swing back up to 250. No big deal tho. I had 2 prime ribs in it and 4 in my RecTec. Both where set at 225. All 6 primes where done within 15 minutes of each other.

My buddy did have to replace the controller in his but Camp Chef sent him a new one PDG.

Like TX said, Pit Boss has good reviews also.

Bill
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri May 18, 2018 9:42 am

Like Counselor said, The Pit Boss (Academy, Home Depot? or Lowes?) is certainly within your budget. I have one, it's running now, and I couldn't be happier. The "ONLY" thing I wish I'd done was buy the 820 instead of the 340. Good Luck :tup: :salut: :texas:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Fri May 18, 2018 9:54 am

Great advice guys. Thank you. I am passing this along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Pellet Cookers and Smokers”