Info and steps for new and potential Pit Boss owners

Traegers, Green Mountain, Smokin Tex and all other Pellet and Wood Chip Smokers

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

RCAlan
Pilgrim

Info and steps for new and potential Pit Boss owners

Postby RCAlan » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:51 pm

I’ve been reading here on this Forum since the first of the year and on other Forum sites about first time Pit Boss owners and those of other Pellet grills manufacturers having a hard time with Temperature swings and those that have suffered fires... Mostly Pit Boss owners... I hope these tips and info will help potential Pit Boss Pellet grill owners in the prevention of barrel fires and wild temperature swings... $400.00-$700.00 plus dollars is a lot of money to go up in Smoke for any grill.. smh... No pun intended..
1. Read.. Always follow the directions of the owners manual and never take any short cuts in the understanding of the proper operation of your pellet grill .
2. Preheating of the grill is essential and must be done correctly each and every time the grill is used.. Again, never skip a step in the preheating of your pellet grill..
Always preheat your grill for at least 30 mins at 350* degrees or as per your owners manual instructions. This is key in preventing wild temp swings and to help your grill maintain stable temps while cooking.
For low and slow bbqing and your desire is to use the smoke mode, the outside ambient temp can effect your grills performance. The Factory preset temp range while on Smoke mode is 160*-190* degrees and the Factory default P- setting is P4. During cold weather cooking, it’s best to use a P-setting like P2-P3 to help prevent a flame out while on “Smoke”mode. Your grill will run more stable using P2-P3 during cold weather cooks. During warm/hot weather cooking while using the Smoke mode, P4 or P5 can be used, which will produce more added smoke.
3. Understanding of the P sub settings is a must read section in your owners manual and key in preventing the Wild temp swings along with the proper preheating of your grill. Always use quality grilling pellets and never use any that have Charcoal Pellets mixed in with the Hard Wood Pellets. If you do, you’ll always have wild temp swings because the Charcoal pellets burn differently then the Hard Wood Pellets. My grill will sometimes go up or down 20-25* degrees and I don’t have a problem with that.. It’s just cycling due to the chosen P smoke setting.
4. For those who prefer Low and Slow smoked bbq, during warm weather cooks, the P set button during Startup/Preheating should be set on P.4. Factory default... and once the preheating is completed, set your grill to Smoke mode and use P-setting P5
5. After the Preheating steps and procedures are all completed, your grill should be good to go and you can set your grill to your desired temp.
6. For those that are using the Smoke mode or are bbqing at or below 225*F, never use P setting P.6 or P.7.. The grill will have a greater chance of flaming out.. and while on the Smoke setting and until you truly understand your grill, never just “Set it and forget it”. That’s with any Pellet grill.. Keep an eye on your grill until you’re familiar and comfortable with its workings.
7. Always watch for grease spills that can cause grease fires. Invest in a shop vac and do a thorough cleaning after every cook...
8. Again, be watchful of Flameouts.. Temps below 150*F. If this happens, the digital temp display will start to flash and the Auger will continue to feed the fire pot with pellets. You’ll also know if you start to smell and see a lot of smoke because the pellets are just smoldering producing a lot of smoke but no real flame. The pellets will pile up in the fire pot and the bottom of the barrel. If the Igniter is restarted by a restart or the pile of smoldering pellets catch fire, this will cause the over filled fire pot and barrel to start a fire... Possibly a big one.. All Pellet Grills can face this possibility if this happens.. And all Pellet Grill manufactures know this too...
9. If the Temps drop below 150* F . or the Digital Temp Gauge starts to flash, don’t push the prime button and don’t turn the grill off and back on again.. Just turn it off and safely remove everything you can from the grill.. Safely... If there is a smoldering fire and a pile of pellets, do whatever is necessary to safely put the fire out.. The longer the pile of smoldering pellets burn, the more potential for damage, harm and injury...
10. I’m a happy PB Austin XL owner and I’ve learned that understanding these pellet grills is key to a long, trouble free ownership.. It’s always better to learn from someone else’s mistakes then to have them happen to you and the lost of your investment because you didn’t do your research or follow directions..
11. If steps 1 through 7 are followed, then steps 8 and 9 shouldn’t happen . And if in doubt, just ask for help... I hope the info helps someone and have a happy and safe Summer bbqing
Last edited by RCAlan on Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pellet Pro Austin XL and a few more mods... in SoCal and Always... Semper Fi.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Info and steps for new and potential Pit Boss owners

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:52 am

I'm a Pit Boss Owner and Guilty of "when all else fails read the Instructions" - - However, for me, using a Pellet Pooper is a Learning Hands On Process ALONG WITH following the Instructions. - - - - as for me, I have gotten in the habit of using the dial to get close and then "tweeking" (fine tuning) it with the "P" settings and so far so good. - - - - I also double the low low temp time to get the smoke flavor I desire instead of using a Pellet Additive in the chamber.

Thanks for posting this
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
thelar USER_AVATAR
thelar
Pilgrim

Postby thelar » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:53 am

I am a Pit Boss owner for about a year and half. I absolutely agree that a wet dry vac is a necessity for a pellet grill owner. Keep it clean and keep on smoking.
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:00 am

I agree with the above information but to avoid confusion I am adding more on the "P" setting.
The "P" setting on Pit Boss is ONLY functional on "Smoke" or "High" settings. On some other pellet pellet pits (like my Traegers) it is only functional on "Smoke" setting, Know your machine.
The info below is directly from my owners manual for the Pit Boss 820.

UNDERSTANDING THE “P” SETTING

The main benefit to the P SETTING Control Button is that it allows you, the Pit Master, to fine tune your Pit
Boss Pellet Grill to compensate for ambient temperatures, humidity, wind, environmental changes, pellet fuel
type and quality. This ensures a World Championship Result, everytime.
When the Temperature Dial is set on SMOKE or HIGH, the Auger turns on, delivers fuel for 18 seconds, then
turns off. The Off-Time is set by or adjusted by the SMOKE CONTROL PUSH BUTTON, which displays a “P”
setting. When the Smoke Control Button is pushed, the corresponding “P” setting is displayed on the LCD
screen momentarily. There are 8 “P” settings, ranging from P0 to P7.
This aids in fine tuning your Pit Boss Pellet Grill, to your desired needs. If you like to Hot Smoke and like more
smoke flavor, then you can adjust the “P” setting, while in the SMOKE MODE, upward to give you a longer
time between auger feeds. This results in a lower temperature output, which increases your cooking time,
which results in a deeper “Smoke Ring” and more flavor.
If you like to GRILL or SEAR, then you can adjust the “P” setting, while in the HIGH setting, downward, to give
you a shorter time between auger feeds. This results in a Higher temperature output, higher pellet
consumption, but allows you to get those “Steak House Sear” marks, and quicker cooking times.

NOTE: Factory Default Setting is “P 4”

INCREASING the “P” setting DECREASES the Fuel Feed Rate, (heat output). This will result in LOWER grill
output temperatures, lower pellet consumptions thus resulting in more smoke flavor. Care must be taken not to increase the “P” setting too high, which could result in the fire going out.

DECREASING the “P” setting INCREASES the Fuel Feed Rate, (heat output). This will result in HIGHER grill
temperature output, higher pellet consumption thus higher grilling temperature. Care must be taken not to
decrease the “P” setting to low, which will result in overfeeding the pellets and the production of Creosote or incomplete combustion.
tarde venientibus ossa....
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:16 pm

Always good to read a P.T. refresher, especially if you're a Pelletizing Person :tup: :salut: :cheers:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
hickorydickorydock
Pilgrim

Postby hickorydickorydock » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:29 am

I love my Pit Boss 700 I've had it for almost a year it acts like a kitchen appliance you just turn it on and forget it. You can pretty much leave it to its own once you get it fired up, if you are thinking about getting one and highly recommended.
RonH
Rustler

Postby RonH » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:04 am

Papa Tom wrote:I agree with the above information but to avoid confusion I am adding more on the "P" setting.
The "P" setting on Pit Boss is ONLY functional on "Smoke" or "High" settings. On some other pellet pellet pits (like my Traegers) it is only functional on "Smoke" setting, Know your machine.
The info below is directly from my owners manual for the Pit Boss 820.

The main benefit to the P SETTING Control Button is that it allows you, the Pit Master, to fine tune your Pit
Boss Pellet Grill to compensate for ambient temperatures, humidity, wind, environmental changes, pellet fuel
type and quality. This ensures a World Championship Result, everytime.
When the Temperature Dial is set on SMOKE or HIGH, the Auger turns on, delivers fuel for 18 seconds, then
turns off. The Off-Time is set by or adjusted by the SMOKE CONTROL PUSH BUTTON, which displays a “P”
setting. When the Smoke Control Button is pushed, the corresponding “P” setting is displayed on the LCD
screen momentarily. There are 8 “P” settings, ranging from P0 to P7.
This aids in fine tuning your Pit Boss Pellet Grill, to your desired needs. If you like to Hot Smoke and like more
smoke flavor, then you can adjust the “P” setting, while in the SMOKE MODE, upward to give you a longer
time between auger feeds. This results in a lower temperature output, which increases your cooking time,
which results in a deeper “Smoke Ring” and more flavor.
If you like to GRILL or SEAR, then you can adjust the “P” setting, while in the HIGH setting, downward, to give
you a shorter time between auger feeds. This results in a Higher temperature output, higher pellet
consumption, but allows you to get those “Steak House Sear” marks, and quicker cooking times.

NOTE: Factory Default Setting is “P 4”

INCREASING the “P” setting DECREASES the Fuel Feed Rate, (heat output). This will result in LOWER grill
output temperatures, lower pellet consumptions thus resulting in more smoke flavor. Care must be taken not to increase the “P” setting too high, which could result in the fire going out.

DECREASING the “P” setting INCREASES the Fuel Feed Rate, (heat output). This will result in HIGHER grill
temperature output, higher pellet consumption thus higher grilling temperature. Care must be taken not to
decrease the “P” setting to low, which will result in overfeeding the pellets and the production of Creosote or incomplete combustion.

Thanks Papa Tom. I just bought a pit boss 700 from a guy and it looked new he said it was about 3 months old, he needed some money and I gave him a $100 for it.Long story short the wife and I were unloading it off the back of a 3/4 ton pickup kinda high and we dropped it(those things are all there) stood it up and been using it for a week now. My only complaint was no smoke flavor, so I'm going to try this . Oh and the only thing it bent was the clip you roll the cord around
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:25 am

Hey Ron, I have one of these that some folks use to add smoke flavor to their Pellet Grill.
If you would like, I'd be happy to get a bubble envelope and send it to you - - free of charge :dont:
All I would need is for you to PM me your mailing address.
"YOUR CALL, OK?"
https://www.amazon.com/MAZE-N-AMNPS5x8- ... 1950&psc=1
RonH
Rustler

Postby RonH » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:31 am

You bet I’ll send you a pm thanks! Let me know how much shipping is and I’ll send it to you
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:10 am

Super, do it in the next 30 minutes and I'll get it off today :tup: :salut:
RonH
Rustler

Postby RonH » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:17 am

OldUsedParts wrote:Super, do it in the next 30 minutes and I'll get it off today :tup: :salut:

I sent It did you not get it?
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:21 am

Nope :dont:
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:26 am

Got it and now I'll delete your info for you :tup: :salut:
RonH
Rustler

Postby RonH » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:32 am

I'm not to worried about it they been trying to catch me for years. Thanks a bunch and let me know how much the shipping was, and I'll get it to you. Now this is another reason I like this forum
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:45 am

I should be shipping it this morning if the Wiffy doesn't surprise me with a ?request? :laughing7:
As far as repayment goes, just pass it on, OK ? It can get contageous :tup: :salut:

Return to “Pellet Cookers and Smokers”