Pit Boss Pellet Grill

Traegers, Green Mountain, Smokin Tex and all other Pellet and Wood Chip Smokers

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

LULULEY
Pilgrim

Pit Boss Pellet Grill

Postby LULULEY » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:42 pm

I just bought a Pit Boss Pellet Grill and have done ribs on it. My grill runs 50 degrees hotter than what I set the temperature dial at. Has anyone else had this problem? I can always turn it down but wanted others input. Thanks.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Pit Boss Pellet Grill

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:57 pm

I have a Pit Boss 340 and have indeed had similar problems - - - once I managed the learning process and found out what the "P" setting was all about, I have had no more issues. The "P" setting on the one I have gets hotter with the smaller number, therefore, 7 is my lowest temp setting. If you haven't tried that I would suggest you sacrifice some pellets and see what you can come up with. Most of the time I run a "P" of 7 because it works for me the best. Good Luck and let us know what you find out. :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:25 pm

How are you comparing temperatures?
The set temp vs the lid temp?
Do you have a temperature sensor on the grill?
Temperatures will vary at different places within the cooking chamber. I have never changed my "P" setting from the factory setting.
tarde venientibus ossa....
RCAlan
Pilgrim

Postby RCAlan » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:58 pm

LULULEY, welcome to the Texas BBQ Forum... I read your post and truly understand your concerns about the temp swings when it comes to your Pit Boss Pellet grill. Understanding your pellet grill is the key to great bbq and dependable reliable service from your Pit Boss Pellet grill. I posted here last month some good and insightful information on Pit Boss Pellet grills and Papa Tom added some great info pertaining to the P settings straight from the owners manual... The posting is titled “Info and steps for new and potential Pit Boss owners “.. If You read and follow those steps in that posting, I’m sure you’ll have a better and clear understanding of your Pit Boss grill and Pellet grills in general.. No need to buy and upgrade anything.. Once you understand how important preheating your grill, using quality pellets and the P-settings are, then your drastic temp swings will go away and you’ll be happy with your investment.
Pellet Pro Austin XL and a few more mods... in SoCal and Always... Semper Fi.
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:17 pm

Here is the post RC refers to.

viewtopic.php?f=71&t=32232&p=271680#p271680
tarde venientibus ossa....
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:29 pm

thanks Papa T, this time I copied and printed both of Y'all's tutorials and put them in my Pellet File Folder - - - last time I had to deal with a couple of pot fires early in my cook and that info may be just what I needed :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"

Return to “Pellet Cookers and Smokers”