PitBoss Austin XL

Traegers, Green Mountain, Smokin Tex and all other Pellet and Wood Chip Smokers

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

skip2ride USER_AVATAR
Skip2Ride
Wrangler

PitBoss Austin XL

Postby Skip2Ride » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:05 pm

Well! Here’s my PitBoss austin xl! As of right now I completed the assembly and now doing the Grill Burn off. I have already primed the hopper. Right now I am seeing the temperature between the digital and the Thermometer about 100 degrees different. Did I do something wrong? Open the flamer boiler? It is close as of right now.
Attachments
BC79502E-99A3-40A7-BEF6-518B4E8AF8FB.jpeg
7C10EC6E-B71B-45EF-ACA8-BF73515DE968.jpeg
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Re: PitBoss Austin XL

Postby Papa Tom » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:35 pm

I don't get too concerned about the lid temp and probe differences.
I do watch the probe temp vs the set temp during cooking glance @ the lid temp with experience you will learn when things are moving along fine.
Mine doesn't have the broiler function and in addition to that I mounted a cast iron griddle on top of the flame deflector to prevent a hot spot over the fire box and to add mass (that damps fluctuations somewhat even tho I really don't get too concerned about fluctuations either). Been doing the griddle thing since I got Traeger #2 the Traegers needed it more than the PB.

Traeger #1 (1998 model) had the broiler feature but did not have a grease drain that is a pain in that you HAVE to clean after ever cook.

You'll love it!
tarde venientibus ossa....
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:33 am

Nice looking Unit - - - - Good Luck with your Venture :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:48 am

looking forward to your cook pictures.. :happ:
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
RCAlan
Pilgrim

Postby RCAlan » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:03 am

Welcome to the Texasbbq Pellet Forum Skip2Ride.. Just a few helpful tips to help with your new Austin XL, they’ll go along way in helping you with your grill and to make great bbq..
1. Read the owners manual completely and carefully.
2. Don’t take any short cuts, always preheat your grill for at least 30 mins at 300-350* degrees. This will help to keep the temps stable.
3. Low and slow bbqing, leave the P setting on P4, factory default.. Read the P setting section in your owners manual carefully.. Don’t use P settings P6 or P7, no need to and your grill will have a greater chance of flaming out..
4. Never just set it and forget it.. Not until you completely understand the workings of your Pellet Grill.
5. Remember, these are not Gas Ovens, these are wood pellet grills so preheating is so important.. I can’t say it enough.
6. You may see your temps go up during the course of your cook 25-30* degrees and them come back down again.. This is normal, your grill is just cycling because the pellets are being fed into the fire pot.. These are still stick burners.. Just Pellets.. Oh and only use quality wood pellets designed for wood pellet grills only.
7. If you haven’t already, invest in a ShopVac and keep the inside of your grill and fire pot clean.. I’m sure You’ll enjoy your Austin XL very much, it’s a great pellet grill. And if you have any problems or questions, don’t hesitate to ask for help.. There’s some great reads here in this forum as well..
Pellet Pro Austin XL and a few more mods... in SoCal and Always... Semper Fi.
swamp donkeyz bbq USER_AVATAR
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
Outlaw

Postby Swamp Donkeyz BBQ » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:56 am

NICE!!!

Return to “Pellet Cookers and Smokers”