Classic Pellet

Traegers, Green Mountain, Smokin Tex and all other Pellet and Wood Chip Smokers

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

skip2ride USER_AVATAR
Skip2Ride
Wrangler

Classic Pellet

Postby Skip2Ride » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:46 am

Classic Pellet is in my Hopper (PitBoss Austin XL). What to smoke/grill this Saturday? Any suggestions?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-09-27 at 9.45.58 AM.png
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Classic Pellet

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:21 am

If I had that choice to make it would be Pork Ribs or Pork Butts OR ALL of them :tup:
Good Luck and let us know what you Q - - - and of course Pics please :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
skip2ride USER_AVATAR
Skip2Ride
Wrangler

Postby Skip2Ride » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:36 am

OldUsedParts wrote:If I had that choice to make it would be Pork Ribs or Pork Butts OR ALL of them :tup:
Good Luck and let us know what you Q - - - and of course Pics please :salut:

I want try this.

https://heygrillhey.com/poor-mans-burnt-ends/#wprm-recipe-container-3511

OUP - Do you have any good recipe for Pork Butts? Thanks for replying this post.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:06 pm

I don't but Papa Tom does and that's what I usually use. I'll see if I can find it for you. :salut:
All I could find was the Cook that Papa Tom helped me thru on my Son's Rehearsal Dinner.
The night before the cook, I rubbed two Butts with honey mustard and sprinkled liberally with a Rub. Normally I would have used Suckle Busters 1836 but my Kids had given me some Williams that I felt I needed to us this time. :dont:
Now just click on this link and you get a play by play with pics. Just take it to 160 then foil and take it to 205 - - - VOILA :cheers:
viewtopic.php?f=71&t=31784&p=267599&hilit=pulled+pork#p267599
As far as adding sauce while pulling, that is really a personal preference. Hopefully Papa Tom will chime in and add any needed info - - and fix any of my booboos. :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
skip2ride USER_AVATAR
Skip2Ride
Wrangler

Postby Skip2Ride » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:33 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:I don't but Papa Tom does and that's what I usually use. I'll see if I can find it for you. :salut:
All I could find was the Cook that Papa Tom helped me thru on my Son's Rehearsal Dinner.
The night before the cook, I rubbed two Butts with honey mustard and sprinkled liberally with a Rub. Normally I would have used Suckle Busters 1836 but my Kids had given me some Williams that I felt I needed to us this time. :dont:
Now just click on this link and you get a play by play with pics. Just take it to 160 then foil and take it to 205 - - - VOILA :cheers:
viewtopic.php?f=71&t=31784&p=267599&hilit=pulled+pork#p267599
As far as adding sauce while pulling, that is really a personal preference. Hopefully Papa Tom will chime in and add any needed info - - and fix any of my booboos. :salut:

Thank you OUP!! :salut: :texas:
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:47 pm

OK here is the message OUP refers to:

For pork butt I usually put 2-3 inches of hickory in the bottom of the hopper then top with oak. Hickory is good but can be too strong.
Never tried but apple should be good.
I never spritz but lots of folks do I bought "set and forget" why ruin a good thing?

I do foil @ 160°F IT and take to 205° .

Rubs I use whatever (but avoid spicy hot) my preference is Hog Waller sometimes use mustard as a glue other times I use honey I think I prefer honey.

My big secret is really no secret however it is divisive & has lovers and haters.
Once we invited over a dedicated BGE user (also the hospital administrator) who talked of how good their pulled pork was off the BGE then took a bite of ours and he and his wife looked at each other and said "This is the best I have EVER had"
The secret Lexington sauce:

Pulled Pork finishing sauce
Yield. Makes about 1 1/2 cups.

Preparation time. About 20 minutes.

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups of distilled vinegar
¼ cup ketchup
1 teaspoon hot sauce
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon salt
2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
2 teaspoons finely ground black pepper

About the vinegar. Seems to me that the best sauces in the area were made with distilled white vinegar, not cider vinegar. So I tried my recipes with both and I liked the distilled better. If you want to use cider, feel free.

Pour all the ingredients into a jar and shake. Let it sit for at least 12 hours to allow the flavors to meld. A week is better.

Sprinkle on the pork while pulling now the word of caution my granddaughter hates it because she hates the vinegar taste. Most people love it.
I will make two batches " With & Without" or have a shaker bottle handy.
Folks will typically not use the shaker bottle because it really doesn't look or smell appealing but it really is magic on pulled pork.
tarde venientibus ossa....
skip2ride USER_AVATAR
Skip2Ride
Wrangler

Postby Skip2Ride » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:55 pm

Thanks everyone for your respond.

I ended up doing Chuck Roast - Poor Man Burnt ends. OMG! it was awesome!
Attachments
J+6AAOJpT2SA7p4qkE5tNQ.jpg
UNH6jykEShOuOTUHjKe44g.jpg
IMG_2379.JPG
LZBlpaxSTkunRjCF6z8iUw.jpg
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:10 pm

A-J-W-D :tup: :salut: Welcome to Pellet Poopers Anonymous :cheers:

Return to “Pellet Cookers and Smokers”