Pit Boss Pro Series (Lowes Exclusive)

Traegers, Green Mountain, Smokin Tex and all other Pellet and Wood Chip Smokers

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

noway2
Pilgrim

Re: Pit Boss Pro Series (Lowes Exclusive)

Postby noway2 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:20 pm

I bought a Series 3 vertical directly from Pit Boss and just got it started up this afternoon. :D

While I was waiting for it to be delivered, I noticed Lowe’s had a Series 4 Pro that is approx 50% bigger. I get that the Pro series is a Lowe’s Exclusive, but I also noticed it was about $100 cheaper. This left me wondering what are the differences between the standard model and the Lowe’s Exclusive models? A bigger unit for 20% less sounds too good to be true without giving something up. The question is what? Any ideas?
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:22 pm

A year ago I bought a 3 series like yours from Academy Sports it works great but I do wish it was bigger.
A slab of ribs has to be cut down to fit I should have known better but liked the small footprint of the cooker.
I have a couple other pellet pits so the width isn't a huge deal to me just be nice to be a bit wider.
As for the Pro designation I suspect there is little difference as Pit Boss does a lot of small customization for retailers.
My PB 800 was bought from Cabelas as a Cabela grill but I knew what it was and it had small differences from the regular PB 800.
The wheels were bigger and on the opposite end on the Cabela unit (I like that feature A LOT).

Also prices vary a lot on Pit Boss cookers it pays to be patient and shop, they are good cookers.
tarde venientibus ossa....
strength_and_pow
Cowboy

Postby strength_and_pow » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:51 am

This post reminded me I have a Pit Boss in storage at work that after 3 cooks, it sh!t the bed during a cook. The customer service was good after jumping through some hoops to register the unit. It did take a few months to get the parts, now I just got to get off my butt and put them in. The cooks I did do, turned out well and the ease of use was a big plus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
noway2
Pilgrim

Postby noway2 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:00 pm

Papa Tom wrote:A slab of ribs has to be cut down to fit I should have known better but liked the small footprint of the cooker.

A couple of weeks ago, I did a slab of ribs. I agree, it barely fit on the rack. The horizontal (left-right / front back) footprint being slightly bigger would be better over the vertices cubic inches. That being said, it worked ly really well.

I dryrubbed the ribs and used the 3-2-1method, meaning 3 hours in the smoker, 2 hours in foil in apple vinegar water, and a final hour cook time. The SO said they were the best ribs I’ve made, but messy. I call that a win :salut:

I am still learning the smoker, though. The probe is off about 5-10 (it varies) degrees from the meat thermometer, which I can compensate for, snd being winter here in NC I think I need to funky a little hotter based upon time to temp.

Still,it’s an experience and if could achieve perfection in one day, it would be no fun.

Return to “Pellet Cookers and Smokers”