Which P setting on Pit Boss gives the best flavor?

Traegers, Green Mountain, Smokin Tex and all other Pellet and Wood Chip Smokers

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Aces67
Pilgrim

Which P setting on Pit Boss gives the best flavor?

Postby Aces67 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:29 am

We love the flavor our food gets from charcoal. Which P setting on the Pit Boss will come close to matching that?

I'm cooking on it for the first time today so any tips are welcome!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Which P setting on Pit Boss gives the best flavor?

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:26 pm

Hopefully Papa Tom will see this and respond :!:

The Default P Setting is usually 4 on most Pit Bosses I've seen and I'm under the impression that changing it only changes the speed of the auger feed therefore the temperature is changed also. As far as flavor goes, I use different type Pellets and my Smoke setting to achieve certain flavors. For me, it's pretty much Apple on Pork and Mesquite and Hickory on Chicken and Beef.

Footnote: IMHO - the longer it is on "Smoke Setting" the more it will resemble Charcoal cooking. :dont:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:30 pm

:?: What are you planning on cooking today :?:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
Aces67
Pilgrim

Postby Aces67 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:59 pm

I ended up cooking boneless skinless chicken breast and some shrimp using mesquite pellets.

The chicken turned out so tender and smoky!

I think tomorrow I'll try some steaks.

I also found some Jack Daniels pellets online. I'll have to try to find some at Academy. I bet those would be really good.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:55 pm

Good deal, so glad it went well for you. Funny thing is that I have never Grilled anything on my Pellet Pooper. I've only done things like Low and Slow Pork Ribs and Pork Butt. I have a small Charcoal ECB that I do all my steaks and seafood on but one day I'm gonna use the Pit Boss cause I know it can do a good job. I've heard some good things about the J.D. pellets also so let us know how they work for you when you try them. :salut:

Return to “Pellet Cookers and Smokers”