I need a new pellet grill. Which brand should I go with?

Traegers, Green Mountain, Smokin Tex and all other Pellet and Wood Chip Smokers

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Aces67
Pilgrim

I need a new pellet grill. Which brand should I go with?

Postby Aces67 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:09 pm

I have a pit boss but it has a mind of its own. Some days it cooks great others the fire dies completely or it gets so hot that you have huge flames everywhere.

I’ve contacted their CS numerous times and they have no clue what’s wrong.

So off I go.

I’m looking at a camp chef because they cleanup so much easier.

Thoughts?
astrohip USER_AVATAR
astrohip
Wrangler

Re: I need a new pellet grill. Which brand should I go with?

Postby astrohip » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:25 pm

Aces67 wrote:I’m looking at a camp chef because they cleanup so much easier.

I'm happy with my Camp Chef Woodwind. Love the ash dump, which makes cleanup a non-issue.
Camp Chef SG Woodwind w/Sear Kit
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:34 pm

I am happy with my Pit Boss but I probably don't use it but ?maybe? 5 or 6 times a year,HOWEVER, if I should have need to buy another one, I think I'd go with a Rec Tec just for a change and I've heard great things about them. :dont: :laughing7: :lol: :D
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
Aces67
Pilgrim

Postby Aces67 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:38 pm

astrohip wrote:
Aces67 wrote:I’m looking at a camp chef because they cleanup so much easier.

I'm happy with my Camp Chef Woodwind. Love the ash dump, which makes cleanup a non-issue.

How smoky does your food taste? The only bad things I’m seeing about camp chef say the food isn’t very smoky.

The food on my Pit Boss tastes amazing, the grill just won’t cook consistently.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:47 pm

I always give "ANY" meat at least an hour to even 2hours on the Smoke setting, depending on the meat choice.
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
astrohip USER_AVATAR
astrohip
Wrangler

Postby astrohip » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:08 pm

Aces67 wrote:How smoky does your food taste? The only bad things I’m seeing about camp chef say the food isn’t very smoky.

Like BBQ should :cheers: .

It's plenty smoky. I wrap many items halfway thru (eg Brisket), and the smoke & bark is fantastic at the end. I always have some nice clean smoke coming out the vent for the first hour or two. Or more.
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:40 pm

sure have been seeing good things about the gravity feed charcoal burner... might look at those; then when you cool off you can give time and thought to your pellet cooker, fix it and have the best of both? :idea: :dont: :salut:
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
roaniecowpony
Cowboy

Postby roaniecowpony » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:26 am

Aces67 wrote:I have a pit boss but it has a mind of its own. Some days it cooks great others the fire dies completely or it gets so hot that you have huge flames everywhere.

So off I go.

Thoughts?

I got a Rectec Bull in December. I've cooked on it about 2-3 times a week since. Brisket, butt, ribs, fish, smoked cheese. I love it. It hasn't missed a beat. Just about all stainless steel construction except the door and cart. Highly recommend. I'm coming from a stick burner & 2 komados. A pellet grill isn't going to replace my charcoal grills for steaks, but many other things are much nicer.
[i][b][color=#0000BF]Chuck[/color][/b][/i]
RecTec RT-700 Platinum Pkg
Bubba Keg grill/smoker
Capt-n-Cook 600" gasser grill
26" Weber Kettle
Danny243
Pilgrim

Postby Danny243 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:31 pm

I cooked on a char-grilled offset smoker for 18 years, still have it. I just got the camp chef woodwind WiFi 24 and I am beyond happy with it. To get into the smoke debate, yes there is plenty of smoke flavor and bark from the pellet smoker. No it is not as intense as the offset smoker, but there is an advantage to that, because the pellet cooker gives off all clean smoke and there is never a bitter, tongue numbing flavor that bark or green wood gives. It is consistently delicious. You can theoretically run for 20 hours without adding fuel and you can check the meat and ambient temperature from anywhere. My first two cooks were reverse reared ribeye caps finished in cast iron with butter and smoked brisket point Franklin’s style. They were unbelievably good. I’ve done some more steaks, pork belly, and a couple of pork picnic roasts as well, all came out deeeelicious.
Attachments
DF029AE5-5B28-4099-9C18-A60939A1F283.jpeg
0020F894-BE63-4C6B-9E26-A61F058762A8.jpeg
astrohip USER_AVATAR
astrohip
Wrangler

Postby astrohip » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:30 am

Danny243 wrote:I cooked on a char-grilled offset smoker for 18 years, still have it. I just got the camp chef woodwind WiFi 24 and I am beyond happy with it. To get into the smoke debate, yes there is plenty of smoke flavor and bark from the pellet smoker. No it is not as intense as the offset smoker, but there is an advantage to that, because the pellet cooker gives off all clean smoke and there is never a bitter, tongue numbing flavor that bark or green wood gives. It is consistently delicious. You can theoretically run for 20 hours without adding fuel and you can check the meat and ambient temperature from anywhere. My first two cooks were reverse reared ribeye caps finished in cast iron with butter and smoked brisket point Franklin’s style. They were unbelievably good. I’ve done some more steaks, pork belly, and a couple of pork picnic roasts as well, all came out deeeelicious.

I have a similar unit, the Woodwind, with the attached Sear Box (for those reverse sears you mention... mmm mmm good!), but no wifi (wasn't available at the time). I love it. I've used stickburners (offset box), WSM, and more. This Camp Chef gives the most consistent smokes, superb flavor, plenty of bark/smoke. I often do a 16 hour brisket, only having to reload once (just to be safe; it can probably go that long on a single hopper).

I love the two built-in temp probes, the easy ash cleaning system, the built-in grease drip catch. Just a well designed unit.
Cincojoe
Pilgrim

Postby Cincojoe » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:00 am

Aces67 wrote:I have a pit boss but it has a mind of its own. Some days it cooks great others the fire dies completely or it gets so hot that you have huge flames everywhere.

So off I go.

Thoughts?

RecTec RT-700.
Usa man
Pilgrim

Postby Usa man » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:14 pm

Smokin brothers. Made in good ol USA. Best customer service and heavy :cheers:
bkeaver
Pilgrim

Postby bkeaver » Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:26 pm

Usa man wrote:Smokin brothers. Made in good ol USA. Best customer service and heavy :cheers:
Thanks for this. I have never heard of them before reading this post. I went to their site to check them out and ended up chatting with Jason there. He informed me that they are working on bringing wifi to their units which is a feature I need as I don't always sit and babysit my cooks.

Sent from my KB2007 using Tapatalk
Slapshot
Pilgrim

Postby Slapshot » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:42 pm

bkeaver wrote:
Usa man wrote:Smokin brothers. Made in good ol USA. Best customer service and heavy :cheers:
Thanks for this. I have never heard of them before reading this post. I went to their site to check them out and ended up chatting with Jason there. He informed me that they are working on bringing wifi to their units which is a feature I need as I don't always sit and babysit my cooks.

Sent from my KB2007 using Tapatalk

I"ve also never heard of Smokin Brothers. I looked into them and they appear to be the real deal. However, when you add in the wi-fi, which everyone else provides without add-on costs, you are looking at over $1500.00. And if it isnt available locally, add shipping on to that. Plus you also need to install the wi-fi module yourself. Thats a lot of money and a lot to ask.
RonH
Rustler

Postby RonH » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:16 am

Why don't you look at the gravity feed cookers? I've been using one for a while now and really like it. I know it's not pellets but it is wood and charcoal 2 of my favorite things

Return to “Pellet Cookers and Smokers”