I need a new pellet grill. Which brand should I go with?

Traegers, Green Mountain, Smokin Tex and all other Pellet and Wood Chip Smokers

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

flexster
Pilgrim

Re: I need a new pellet grill. Which brand should I go with?

Postby flexster » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:31 pm

I haver a RecTeq and it's a great little cooker. It does everything it is suppose to do very well. It cooks so well it's unimaginable.
roaniecowpony
Cowboy

Postby roaniecowpony » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:48 am

A year after this thread started and nearly a year and a half after I got a RetTec Bull, I'm still thrilled with the performance and would recommend it. I hang out on the RecTeq forum and see a lot of happy owners and great food. In fact, it works so well for low n slow that I just sold my old offset a couple days ago.

My only comment is that while the "low n slow" performance is stellar, I don't find I use it for things that traditionally require searing. Not that it can't do it, but there is some compromise in the result. Also, the number one challenge on the RecTeq forum is crisp chicken skin. For those two tasks, I prefer to use direct heat from charcoal in one of my komados or in the future, the 26" Weber kettle I just picked up. The quality of direct heat for those two tasks just isn't matched with sear plates and other trickery with indirect heat.

If a reader is seeking a single smoker/grill for both tasks, possibly one of the pellet grills that have a removeable heat deflector hatch over the burn pot to allow direct heat, would produce a better grilled sear. I think the MAK, and maybe the Camp Chef have this feature. Probably others by now. But I find this to be another good reason to have other cookers. :laughing7:
[i][b][color=#0000BF]Chuck[/color][/b][/i]
RecTec RT-700 Platinum Pkg
Bubba Keg grill/smoker
Capt-n-Cook 600" gasser grill
26" Weber Kettle
astrohip USER_AVATAR
astrohip
Wrangler

Postby astrohip » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:25 am

roaniecowpony wrote:If a reader is seeking a single smoker/grill for both tasks, possibly one of the pellet grills that have a removeable heat deflector hatch over the burn pot to allow direct heat, would produce a better grilled sear. I think the MAK, and maybe the Camp Chef have this feature. Probably others by now. But I find this to be another good reason to have other cookers. :laughing7:

You are correct. My Camp Chef has a heat deflector shield that easily slides in place (which is where it normally is), or out of place. You can slide it out while operating the unit, if need be. Move it out, set the temp to high, and you basically have a grill.

I also have the Sear Box attachment, which gets even hotter. I use it for searing steaks and whatnot. Like a reverse sear.
Camp Chef SG Woodwind w/Sear Kit
mlmurrah USER_AVATAR
mlmurrah
Pilgrim

Postby mlmurrah » Sun Dec 26, 2021 3:42 pm

I have had a Rec Teq for a couple of years, and it is a solid performer. It is built like a tank.
Rec Tec RT-700
Weber Smokey Mountain
Huntsville, TX

Return to “Pellet Cookers and Smokers”