Pellet Grill Brisket Question

Traegers, Green Mountain, Smokin Tex and all other Pellet and Wood Chip Smokers

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

ptsooner
Pilgrim

Pellet Grill Brisket Question

Postby ptsooner » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:09 am

Hey guys!

I have a pit boss 820 pellet grill. I smoked my first brisket and it turned out fine on the inside, but the outside was a little stringy. It didn't cut like I wanted nor did it have the bark I prefer. Anyway, I bought some hardcore carnivore seasoning to help with the bark and I think that the outside being stringy was because I took the brisket off too soon. Just looking for a little feed back. Thanks.
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Re: Pellet Grill Brisket Question

Postby Txdragon » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:26 am

Welcome! I have the Austin XL and having been a stick burner for over 70% of my nearing 25 years of smoke, I LOVE the pellet thing! I am still pretty new to it myself but, what you're describing seems to come down to some dry heat (the stringy exterior being caused by drying of the cooked muscle striations), temp, and time. What I did for mine pictured below, was low and slow with a little ACV/cider spritz about ever 30-40 minutes throughout the cook, starting after the first 2 hours had elapsed. This particular brisket was a select grade that I would NEVER had even looked twice at had there been better options.

20200605_151100.jpg

20200605_151112.jpg
(Insert witty signature here)
ptsooner
Pilgrim

Postby ptsooner » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:47 am

Thanks for the advice. I will spritz for my next cook.
pitrust USER_AVATAR
PitRust
Pilgrim

Postby PitRust » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:49 pm

ptsooner wrote:Hey guys!

I have a pit boss 820 pellet grill. I smoked my first brisket and it turned out fine on the inside, but the outside was a little stringy. It didn't cut like I wanted nor did it have the bark I prefer. Anyway, I bought some hardcore carnivore seasoning to help with the bark and I think that the outside being stringy was because I took the brisket off too soon. Just looking for a little feed back. Thanks.

Did you wrap? What was your time and temperature?
thelar USER_AVATAR
thelar
Pilgrim

Postby thelar » Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:20 pm

I also have a PB 820. I have had it for about 4 years. At first I had a problem with dry brisket with bad bark. I always cooked my brisket fat side up on my old stick burner and so that is how I did it on my 820. This is what I started doing to fix both issues. I put my brisket on the pit at the smoke setting and I adjust the pid setting to keep the temp at about 180*. I do this for at least 5 hours fat side down to protect the meat from the firepot. I then depending on if I want the brisket for lunch or dinner the next day, I preheat my oven to 180 or 195. I pull the brisket off the pit and put in a foil pan with a rack(uncovered) fat side up with just enough beef broth to cover the bottom of the pan. I let it cook overnight in the oven. The next morning I put it back on the pit(250-275 for lunch, or 225-250 for dinner) to finish it till done. I pull it, wrap it, and let it rest at least an hour but usually 2 hours in a cooler.
Attachments
Brisket 1.jpg
Brisket 2.jpg
Brisket 3.jpg
Brisket 4.jpg
bobcat1 USER_AVATAR
bobcat1
Outlaw

Postby bobcat1 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:57 am

That's awesome!
strength_and_pow
Cowboy

Postby strength_and_pow » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:03 pm

PitRust wrote:
ptsooner wrote:Hey guys!

Did you wrap? What was your time and temperature?

I’d guess these important bits of data are probably unknown.
It was cooked on a pellet grill so the temps were stable more than likely.
Definitely need some more data to make suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Samm_Smoker
Pilgrim

Postby Samm_Smoker » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:15 pm

thelar wrote:I also have a PB 820. I have had it for about 4 years. At first I had a problem with dry brisket with bad bark. I always cooked my brisket fat side up on my old stick burner and so that is how I did it on my 820. This is what I started doing to fix both issues. I put my brisket on the pit at the smoke setting and I adjust the pid setting to keep the temp at about 180*. I do this for at least 5 hours fat side down to protect the meat from the firepot. I then depending on if I want the brisket for lunch or dinner the next day, I preheat my oven to 180 or 195. I pull the brisket off the pit and put in a foil pan with a rack(uncovered) fat side up with just enough beef broth to cover the bottom of the pan. I let it cook overnight in the oven. The next morning I put it back on the pit(250-275 for lunch, or 225-250 for dinner) to finish it till done. I pull it, wrap it, and let it rest at least an hour but usually 2 hours in a cooler.

I have a couple questions. 1. You say you cook overnight, do you cook to a specific temp? 2. Finish till done, 205 degrees?
thelar USER_AVATAR
thelar
Pilgrim

Postby thelar » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:46 pm

Hey Samm,

I just put it in the oven to continue to cook the brisket while I get a good nights rest. It is usually around 150* when I pull it off the smoker. The next morning it is between 160 and 170* when I take it out of the oven and put it back on the smoker. The other benefit is the stall is usually done at that point. You could certainly just leave it in the oven til 203* if you like. I forgot to mention and not sure if it makes any difference at all. I run my 820 with a water pan and after I put it back on the smoker in the morning I spritz with beef stock every hour @ 225-250*, or every half hour @ 250-275* till done.

Return to “Pellet Cookers and Smokers”