First Cooks on My New Smoker

Traegers, Green Mountain, Smokin Tex and all other Pellet and Wood Chip Smokers

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

steve j USER_AVATAR
Steve J
Pilgrim

First Cooks on My New Smoker

Postby Steve J » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:22 am

Two weeks ago I purchased the Grilla Grills Silverbac All-Terrain model. Since then, I've used it four times and all I can say is that it's an awesome smoker. If anyone's interested, I wanted to share why I chose this smoker over some of the other pellet smokers, as well as some pics of my cooks. Please be advised this is not an attempt to bash any company, or start a flame war-this is solely my experience. Sorry, in advance, but it might be a lengthy post.

First up was the choices I had: the Camp Chef Wood Wind 24 WiFi, Weber Smoke Fire EX4, ReqTeq 700, and Pit Boss (any of their pellet smokers)

Camp Chef
-It has a better price but doesn't have double wall insulation
-Sketchy WiFi connectivity based on reviews found on the Camp Chef website as well as users on social media (similar to Weber iGrill mini 2; constant connection issues)
-Only has plastic wheels so it's questionable as to whether I’d be able to move through grass without some additional modification
-Unable to contact customer support on several attempts

Weber Smoke Fire EX4
-Only has double wall insulation in the sides instead of the barrel bottom
-While software has been updated, Weber is still shipping smokers with the defective auger and pellet ramp;
-Inconsistent customer service support regarding shipping the upgraded pellet
ramp and auger, based on user reviews
-Questionable as to whether I’d be able to move through grass without some additional modification
-Unable to reach customer support

RecTeq 700
-Doesn’t feature double walled insulation
-Only able to move through grass if I purchase the comp cart which is an additional cost
-Even customers on social media with experience between RecTeq & Grilla Grills advised me to purchase the Silverbac
-Company censors comments on social media based on response I received from other users, regarding whether or not to buy from them
-No interest in reaching customer support

Pit Boss pellet smokers
-Pit Boss/Louisiana Grills/Dansons has an OVERABUNDANCE of pellet smokers on the market. The Pit Boss website alone has in excess of 20. Every few months there's a new smoker released and not much in the way of support or updates for what's already on the market. I say this because I have their kamado and asked about updates to it similar to how Kamdo Now updated several things on their smokers, and I was told that the kamados were not a priority for them. If they don't support the smokers they sell, why am I buying it?
-The "Throw it Against the Wall and Let's See What Sticks" approach; in addition to grills, they also have rubs and griddles on the market. Not that any of these are a bad thing, however, it takes time to build reputation in any area and they just release items every other month it seems.

Why I Went with Grilla Grills
-Customer service- I asked the rep why should I purchase a GG smoker as opposed to another brand; rather than bad-mouth the other brand, he stated the positives of their smoker and what it's able to do.
-Military/First Responder support; if you're a vet or first responder, let them know and they'll include some goodies
-Double walled insulation; this helps with maintaining temps when smoking during cooler temps outside
-Comes with the cart
-FB page responded with lots of great comments regarding satisfaction with their purchase
-Mark Graham & Shane Draper both have stated that the focus is to make sure the grills they sell are dialed in meaning making innovations to the existing smokers instead of racing to create the next smoker (Video from two years ago https://youtu.be/JSm2KmhSNeA )
-No need for WiFi connectivity
-Appearance; this just looks sweet

As for the four cooks: I've done 1) burgers and wings, 2) spatchcock chicken, 3) ribs, and 4) venison backstrap. All have been amazing.
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_35e1.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_35f0.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_35f7.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_35fd.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_3601.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_3606.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_3610.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_35c3.jpeg
Char-Griller Smokin' Pro, Weber Kettle Limited Red Edition, Pit Boss K22 Kamado
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: First Cooks on My New Smoker

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:36 pm

:wav:
applauding3.gif
applauding3.gif (173.22 KiB) Viewed 4739 times
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
02ebz06 USER_AVATAR
02ebz06
Cowboy

Postby 02ebz06 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:10 pm

Good lookin' cooks.
LSG 20x42 Pellet Smoker (on order), CampChef PGXXL pellet smoker, Emozione Pizza Oven, CampChef Griddle
astrohip USER_AVATAR
astrohip
Wrangler

Postby astrohip » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:13 pm

Thanks for a detailed write-up. Food looks great! Now I'm hungry for some ribs :lol:

How is the cleanup on your new smoker? Ash removal, etc? How about grease drips & runoff, what does it do to handle them?
Camp Chef SG Woodwind w/Sear Kit

Return to “Pellet Cookers and Smokers”