Same Old Question

Traegers, Green Mountain, Smokin Tex and all other Pellet and Wood Chip Smokers

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Same Old Question

Postby Rambo » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:06 pm

The Grandson is going to buy a Pellet Machine. He can get the Pit boss Austin XL at Walmart for $497. I’ve read several threads in this forum and it seems to be liked by several here along with the Camp Chef Wi-Fi. Comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Same Old Question

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:08 pm

I have the 340 and I'm perfectly pleased. It had some defective electronics when I first put it together and tried to start it so I called them and they put the necessary part in the mail to me just on my word. It was too early for them to even have any records from me or Academy yet but that didn't seem to matter. Wishing him the best in the Pellet Pooper Society.
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:45 pm

Well, I'm disappointed because if you recall, I found him a heck of a deal on a stick burner. He cleaned it up and painted it and added a new thermometer. he's decided he needs something easier since he has 2 boys, 5 & 2 to deal with. I understand. if someone is hunting a heck of a deal on a medium sized stick burner made of heavy steel, he only wants $250 for it. He's 15 miles southeast of Lufkin at Zavala.
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:53 pm

There is a thread in the Offset & vertical smokers forum titled-" Great Deal for my Grandson"" that has pictures. The best ones are on page 3 of the thread after he painted iy.

Sorry, I've Hijacked my own thread
Attachments
RamboC.jpg
RamboC.jpg (116.27 KiB) Viewed 5283 times
RamboB.jpg
RamboB.jpg (118.92 KiB) Viewed 5283 times
RamboA.jpg
RamboA.jpg (140.53 KiB) Viewed 5283 times
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:11 pm

I've messed with (but never cooked on) the Austin XL. It seems to be a pretty nice grill.

I cooked on a Camp Chef for years before I got my Weber and it was a tank. It cooked extremely well and was simple to use. Never had an issue with flameouts or anything, regardless of the pellets I used.
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
02ebz06 USER_AVATAR
02ebz06
Cowboy

Postby 02ebz06 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:25 pm

There are several pellet pits out there in that price range.
All Chinese made (I think).
They are all pretty good as an entry level grill.
You would not be searing steaks on any as I don't think any go above 400-450. Some not that high.
Primary design is for low and slow.
Controllers seldom give accurate readings. No calibration available other than put a known good thermometer probe in center of grate where you cook the most, and compare the reading to the controller reading.
Then adjust your set cook temps accordingly.

I have a CampChef PGXXL-PRO vertical pellet smoker (a couple hundred $$$ higher than Pit Boss you mentioned) . Has six shelves and can go to 8 I think.
The reading on it was 25 degrees lower that actual in center. Over cooked first pork shoulder because of that. Bark was 1/2" thick and HARD.
So my solution was, I purchased a Savannah Stoker controller that lets you calibrate the probe (RTD) reading.
The reason I purchased it, instead of just adjusting set temp lower, was it lets you run just the fan, and has some other features.
That is perfect for smoking cheese as I have an external smoke generator and the fan will move the smoke around in the chamber.
With all the capacity, the CampChef will be used for Jerky making too.
Other than that, just for making something at a different temp than my Memphis pellet grill.

Not suggesting he purchase a Savannah Stoker as it is pricey, that is just what I did.
Nor am I suggesting he purchase the CampChef model I did. Just used that to point out the temp variance from set to actual.

I think first thing you should ask him is what does he plan on cooking on it.
If he plans on steaks, then he (or you) need to do some research to find one that will get you up to 500+ degrees.

Haven't checked in a while, but I don't think you can find a USA made grill under $1,500.

There is a Plan B, Grandpa can buy him a USA made one for Christmas. :laughing7:
Last edited by 02ebz06 on Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LSG 20x42 Pellet Smoker (on order), CampChef PGXXL pellet smoker, Emozione Pizza Oven, CampChef Griddle
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:45 pm

Thanks everyone
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:05 am

Have not used one but was very impressed by the Rec Tec I saw a while back in Elliott’s. Really solid and better built than my Tin Man Traeger. Only drawback was it was orange.. :laughing7:.

Understand it gets great reviews. The Tin Man is adequate, makes pretty good steaks and darn good pizza, but I don’t do any serious cooks on it. After the first year it couldn’t crack 375 to save its life, but otherwise very steady.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:18 am

The Rec Tec is a beast from what I've heard. Though, for the first time earlier this week, I did hear a negative about it. The interior is 304 stainless. My neighbor has a 700 that he's had for 2 years and the stainless on the interior is beginning to pit and rust. Now, that's in our super humid environment down here outside of Houston, so take it for what it is. They will probably hold up much better in other, drier environments.
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:00 pm

Boots wrote: Only drawback was it was orange.. :laughing7:.

Hmm that must be a Color that's in demand in the Lone Star :texas: :laughing7: :lol: :D :cow: :cow: :cow: :cow: :cow: :cow: :cow: :cow:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
mike243
Wrangler

Postby mike243 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:20 pm

I have been running a Austin LX for close to 2.5 years, Its been great so far and had a meat probe go out of range, other than that smooth sailing, folks claim so and so smokes better than others and if same pellets same temps what makes it different lol.
PB AustinLX, Weber Performer, Weber E310 , 250g trailer pit , 36" cowboy grill, bunch of other ways to burn food.
pitrust USER_AVATAR
PitRust
Pilgrim

Postby PitRust » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:51 pm

[quote="02ebz06"]There are several pellet pits out there in that price range.
All Chinese made (I think).
They are all pretty good as an entry level grill.
You would not be searing steaks on any as I don't think any go about 400-450. Some not that high.
Primary design is for low and slow.

I've gotten my Oklahoma Joe's to 600+. Price is $100-$150 more but if that's an important feature for you then well worth it.
02ebz06 USER_AVATAR
02ebz06
Cowboy

Postby 02ebz06 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:17 pm

PitRust wrote:I've gotten my Oklahoma Joe's to 600+. Price is $100-$150 more but if that's an important feature for you then well worth it.

Good to know... Thanks
LSG 20x42 Pellet Smoker (on order), CampChef PGXXL pellet smoker, Emozione Pizza Oven, CampChef Griddle
Torrey
Pilgrim

Postby Torrey » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:04 pm

I bought my Pit Boss 456D in January when I believe they were being discontinued. I was originally looking at an Oklahoma Joe or a Weber Smoky Mountain, but the price of the Pit Boss hit $189 and I couldn't pass it up. At that price, I didn't have high expectations, but I love this thing. I've only had a couple of instances - one where pellets quit burning and another where I just flat ran it out of pellets. Otherwise, keep it clean and it works great. I've kept it stock up to this point, but I've seen at least a couple of mods I plan on doing. One is running a rod to the sliding broiler plate cover so you don't have to remove anything to use the flame broiler. The other is installing a smoke stack - heard it helps with maintaining temperature and getting more smoke flavor to the meat. Anybody else done this? My wife and I also love the versatility of cooking wood-fired steaks, pork chops, etc....and also being able to slow-smoke a brisket, pork butt, or ribs.
mike243
Wrangler

Postby mike243 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:46 am

I doubt putting a smoke stack will help much , I don't use the flame very much but it can lick some meat with flames lol
PB AustinLX, Weber Performer, Weber E310 , 250g trailer pit , 36" cowboy grill, bunch of other ways to burn food.

Return to “Pellet Cookers and Smokers”