Costco almost hooked me

Traegers, Green Mountain, Smokin Tex and all other Pellet and Wood Chip Smokers

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

scott p USER_AVATAR
Scott P
Cowboy

Costco almost hooked me

Postby Scott P » Thu May 27, 2021 5:56 pm

The minions (7 year old twins) and I hit Costco today and Traeger was one of the road show displays. Being an idiot, I stopped to look. Now, I already have two WSMs, a large BGE, a Genesis II S-310, Weber Q220, a Smokey Joe and a 22" Blackstone. The last thing I need is another outdoor cooking device. Still, the sales guy caught me looking. It was the portable Scout that caught my eye. It was priced at $299 and he'd "throw in" the power inverter (since it's a portable unit), a couple bags of pellets, seasonings and a cookbook for free. He said the grill was $200 off too. I really only wanted it for the camper. The idea of doing some chickens, poppers, etc. sounded good. I already have the Blackstone for burgers and the Q for grilling. I figured it would replace the Q. But, avoiding the urge to impulse buy I took a pass.

I looked up reviews when I got home. Temp swings are a problem with this model and people just aren't satisfied. The cooking area is stupid small. He said two five pound chickens, but I doubt that. In reality, my camping cooking usually comes down to burgers or fajitas on the Blackstone. heck, even my steaks are cooked in the sous vide and finished on the Q. I just don't think it would get the use. darn that logic and thought. It always gets me. I think that $300 would be better off put towards a used stick burner if I really wanted to try something new.

Still, Costco almost got me. They almost got me to buy another way to cook over fire...
Last edited by Scott P on Thu May 27, 2021 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buddha Belly BBQ Team

18" WSM
22" WSM
26" Kettle
Genesis II S-310
Large BGE
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Re: Costco almost hooked me

Postby Rambo » Thu May 27, 2021 6:05 pm

Sex Maniac in A Nudist Colony
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Re: Costco almost hooked me

Postby bsooner75 » Fri May 28, 2021 11:22 am

Had one of those displays at the Costco here some time back. I was just in a mood and didn’t really feel like talking so I attempted to breeze by. The guy says “sir can I interest you in one of our pellet grills” I shot back with a kind of surly “no thanks, I burn logs” sales guy replies with a pellet in his fingers and says “me too, mine are just really tiny”. I have to admit. That made me smile and actually completely changed my mood. Still had no interesting a pellet grill but it’s not very often somebody can disarm me like that. He was good at his job for sure. And I realized I shouldn’t walk around like an arse…at least that’s what my wife told me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Pellet Cookers and Smokers”