Green Mountain Grill issues

Traegers, Green Mountain, Smokin Tex and all other Pellet and Wood Chip Smokers

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

bogiedr USER_AVATAR
bogiedr
Cowboy

Green Mountain Grill issues

Postby bogiedr » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:09 pm

Stop me if you've heard this before! My GMG Daniel Boone Prime is about 13 months old. When it works it has been fantastic, however during that period of time we've had to replace a faulty igniter one month into ownership. Roughly six months ago, the power supply went bad. Four weeks ago it started running about 50 degrees hotter than the set temp. GMG determined I had a bad control panel, by the way, customer support has been fantastic. They shipped a new control panel, swapped it out, it now started to run 70 degrees hotter. One more call, we updated the profile and software on the smoker, still 60 to 70 degrees hotter. After too many calls, they now think that the heat sensor is bad, they want photos of my set up to make sure I have the heat shield and everyone else set properly, mind you I have been told by GMG to adjust the heat shield 3 different ways … the smoker now runs 115 degrees hotter! :angryfire: I will probably get a new sensor once photos are provided. It has 2 years of warranty left. Thinking of taking a drive to my local land fill and disposing of it :banghead: I bought it because of the convenience but it has become inconvenient. Oh well, thanks for letting me vent, I guess the Kamado Joe is still king. :whiteflag:
Hit them straight
BogieDr

Kamado Joe Classic
Weber Little Joe
Weber 22.5 Performer
Weber Genesis II LX S-440
Green Mountain Daniel Boone prime
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Green Mountain Grill issues

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:11 pm

Good Luck with this, Podnah, there should be some more knowledgeable comments from the members later. :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bogiedr USER_AVATAR
bogiedr
Cowboy

Postby bogiedr » Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:38 pm

OUP, thanks, that's why I love this forum. It feels like family!

Rorschach, agree completely with your assessment. I do give them credit for the prompt responses and fast parts replacement shipments. By now I would have thought they would have asked me to pick up a new smoker at a local dealer returning my old one to the dealer.

I also prefer using charcoal however, like you health issues keep me from babysitting my Kamado and my Weber's. In the summer it's unbearably hot and humid, just like Texas so that's where a pellet smoker comes in handy. I will send them photos tomorrow and they will probably call me within an hour of reviewing what the want to review and send me the latest new part :deadhorse:

Thanks and stay healthy.
Hit them straight
BogieDr

Kamado Joe Classic
Weber Little Joe
Weber 22.5 Performer
Rorschach
Wrangler

Postby Rorschach » Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:58 pm

bogiedr wrote:OUP, thanks, that's why I love this forum. It feels like family!

Rorschach, agree completely with your assessment. I do give them credit for the prompt responses and fast parts replacement shipments. By now I would have thought they would have asked me to pick up a new smoker at a local dealer returning my old one to the dealer.

I also prefer using charcoal however, like you health issues keep me from babysitting my Kamado and my Weber's. In the summer it's unbearably hot and humid, just like Texas so that's where a pellet smoker comes in handy. I will send them photos tomorrow and they will probably call me within an hour of reviewing what the want to review and send me the latest new part :deadhorse:

Thanks and stay healthy.

You too!

FWIW the Masterbuilt gravity smokers have a full control system analogous to today's pellet grills, but use charcoal and wood chunks you load in a hopper. That's why they've caught some interest from me, without having to spend multiple thousands of $ on a Myron Mixon or Stumps or such.

https://www.masterbuilt.com/pages/gravity-series
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:14 am

I have nothing to offer other than I just got a new Grilla Silverbac last week.
My first cook was Friday and the temp promptly went to 300 (I was set at 250). It stayed there for about 20-30 minutes before I decided to lower the temp (to 240) and switch from pro to PID mode. It dropped to 160 and stayed there.
It was 3 hrs in, so I gave up and finished the ribs on the Webber kettle.

Grilla CS (two different ppl) thinks it was a bad batch of pellets. I’m not buying that, but going to vacuum it out and start over with another bag/brand today.

Good luck getting it resolved. At least their CS is responsive, otherwise it would be worse!
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:32 am

I'm not buying the bad pellet story especially in the PID mode something ain't right.

I can see the overshoot on startup and can see it lasting a while BC pellet delivery isn't instant and typically @ startup the auger runs for 4 Min. b 4 turning control over to the electronic temp control.

Let us know how today's cook turns out.
tarde venientibus ossa....
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:03 pm

It was a fail.

I cleaned all old pellets out, vacuumed, started fresh.

Turned it on, set at 250 PID, it never got above 140 and after 30 mins, shut itself down. I took the deflector off and the pot was overflowed and smoldering.
Emailed CS for a phone call, too much to discuss over email.
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:37 pm

Bogiedr Sorry for jumping on your thread.
BH sounds like combustion fan issue...
tarde venientibus ossa....
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:30 am

Yes, apologies bogiedr. I hope you get the part you need to get it corrected this time.
At least GM CS seems to be pretty decent.
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
bogiedr USER_AVATAR
bogiedr
Cowboy

Postby bogiedr » Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:43 pm

Bowhntr, I can't complain about the response from tech support, I am frustrated with the Boone, not tech support although I have received conflicting things to try, guess they were just trying to understand why it's not working right. I will say I love this smoker however, if I can't get it right I will move on and get a Rec Tec 580. My young neighbor has tons of patience. I will give it to him.
Hit them straight
BogieDr

Kamado Joe Classic
Weber Little Joe
Weber 22.5 Performer
bogiedr USER_AVATAR
bogiedr
Cowboy

Postby bogiedr » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:09 pm

Well, GMG tells me the heat sensor shipped yesterday, should be here Monday. So for Sunday I am planning filets with baked Yukon Golds. Sounds like a job for the Weber Kettle. Will update story, hopefully my sideways pics will be fixed!
Hit them straight
BogieDr

Kamado Joe Classic
Weber Little Joe
Weber 22.5 Performer
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:53 pm

Did ya get yer sensor replaced?
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
bogiedr USER_AVATAR
bogiedr
Cowboy

Postby bogiedr » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:28 pm

Not yet. Received sensor Saturday but it's been raining here. Tuesday morning was beautiful but I was driving to my weekly chemo session so, I am trash for the week into next Tuesday. Let's see how I feel as the week progresses, will update!
Hit them straight
BogieDr

Kamado Joe Classic
Weber Little Joe
Weber 22.5 Performer
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:27 pm

bogiedr wrote:Not yet. Received sensor Saturday but it's been raining here. Tuesday morning was beautiful but I was driving to my weekly chemo session so, I am trash for the week into next Tuesday. Let's see how I feel as the week progresses, will update!

I hope you feel better BD
bogiedr USER_AVATAR
bogiedr
Cowboy

Postby bogiedr » Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:55 pm

Thank you brother Rambo. Papa Tom, as a matter of fact I received two parts from GMG, they sent the sensor as promised but also sent the combustion fan! I called them in case they made a mistake so I could ship it back. My rep said that he wanted to make sure all the bases were covered. After all the things that have gone wrong he said that if the sensor did not fix the problem, the fan will as you indicated! I will try the fan first, easier to swap. Thank you all for the help, as soon as I get it going I will report back!
Hit them straight
BogieDr

Kamado Joe Classic
Weber Little Joe
Weber 22.5 Performer

Return to “Pellet Cookers and Smokers”