Used a Fire Extinguisher on Grill HELP

Any type of high heat grill.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

mmgrill
Pilgrim

Used a Fire Extinguisher on Grill HELP

Postby mmgrill » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:01 am

Hi Guys,

The other day I had this crazy grease fire break out in my Natural Gas BBQ. I kind of paniced at the time flames shooting out the side and once I opened the lid got even worse (gave it oxygen..) we pulled it away from the house, there was a wood lattice directly behind it and it was getting hot.

One of my friends deployed a Pure Halon blend 1211/1301 0.9lb fire extinguisher only lasted a couple of seconds but it did help knock the flames down a little, created a ton of smoke, atleast there was a slight breeze to blow it away.

My question is, is my grill safe to use after deploying A Halon Extinguisher onto it?

Has anyone done this or does anyone have any advice?

Thanks
3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Re: Used a Fire Extinguisher on Grill HELP

Postby 3 star redneck » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:07 am

Never discharge a extinguisher in a pit....now you are going to have to poewr wash the entire cooker then build a fire in it and hope its all out...when you have a greasse fire all you do is close off all vents, stacks and sit back and wait for 3-4 monites then slowly open one of the cooing doors....after the flames are gone let yhe pit breath all the bad smoke out anf start cooking over.......remember never put an extinguisher in a pit will ruin your it..
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns
mechnech USER_AVATAR
Mechnech
Bandolero

Postby Mechnech » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:12 pm

I agree with Redneck there, just close it down, no oxygen it will go out.

quote="New Country"]"Whoops, sorry honey but I blew up the propane grill. I guess I need to go get a proper charcoal grill now"

I just tell mine if she would have cleaned the grill after the last times she cooked hamburgers then I wouldn't have ruint them steaks.
Shop built Reverse Flow Smoker
UDS
Weber Genesis E-320
More CI than I can carry
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:35 pm

I would say that after a normal cleanup you are good to go. The halon you used is non toxic a gas at normal temperature and pressure and is not residue forming.
Of course since it is a chloro-flouro- carbon (CFC) it will eat the ozone out of the atmoaphere and we'll all catch a bad case of skin cancer but what the heck a little SPF 30 and some more meat and we're set.
Clean up the grease and go enjoy.

BTW welcome to the forum how about going over to the "Wanted" section and introduce yourself and tell us a little bit about yourself.

Some reading:
http://www.h3rcleanagents.com/support_faq_2.htm
tarde venientibus ossa....
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:28 pm

I agree with Papa 110%.

With most gas grills it is impossible to shut off combustion air, just the way they are built (keeps 'em from exploding and such). After shutting off the gas its either let it run its course or do what you did.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
meat USER_AVATAR
MEAT
Rustler

Postby MEAT » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:05 pm

As long as no one got hurt/burnt...live and learn.
20"x30" custom made pit/smoker by JJ

Return to “Charcoal Grills, Gas Grills and Disc Cookers”