Need a new gas grill

Any type of high heat grill.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

txlnghrn USER_AVATAR
TXLNGHRN
Cowboy

Need a new gas grill

Postby TXLNGHRN » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:15 pm

I fired up the ol chargriller for the first time in a couple months and noticed it's on it's last leg.
I've had it 4 years.
For the $250 i paid for it, is it worth upgrading or just get another? I'd love a new weber, but $750 is a little steep.

Any recommendations?
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Re: Need a new gas grill

Postby egghead » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:58 pm

I would go ceramic but of course I'm prejudice. You can get a large BGE or equivalent Primo for not a lot more than the $750 Weber gasser.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:57 am

Earlier this fall, I was in the same boat you are. Just didn't have the cash to fork out for a weber. Did some research and settled on a Huntington Forge. 4 burners, 1 side burner, and 1 rotisserie burner. Came with a rotisserie kit as well. I've not had any issues or concerns with it. I've had it running @ 700 for a deep cleaning and can keep it steady as low as 200 (lowest I've tried). My only complaint is tempered by a benefit. The grates are cast iron, so down here on the gulf coast, they take a lot of care to make sure they don't rust out. But the benefit is they add that great CI flavor.

I bought mine from Cabela's, cause they were the cheapest. You can usually get a deal from them, $20 off orders of $150 or more, or something along those lines.

Here's the link.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product. ... basket.jsp

They're sold out at the moment, but I bet they'll be back in stock.
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:44 pm

egghead wrote:I would go ceramic but of course I'm prejudice. You can get a large BGE or equivalent Primo for not a lot more than the $750 Weber gasser.

Ditto on the ceramic.

I can get E2 to temp as fast or faster than my gasser takes. And paying $10/gallon+ for propane, well that's hiway robbery.

They raised their prices Jan 1st but you can still get a Primo at http://www.woodlanddirect.com/Outdoor/B ... ill-Smoker for $830 -includes shipping and no sales tax. :D

My gasser, well the burners are literally flaking apart and there's the cast iron grate issue I too am dealing with. I don't plan on replacing my gasser as long as I'm on the island. Even SS rusts here. Did you know that a 20 pound tank for a grill holds 4.1 gallons of propane when filled to 80% (full mark). A $25 exchange tank comes out to $6.10/gallon. Robbery I say. :angryfire:

All that said, Weber makes a good product. Might want to check out craig's list for divorce, err forced relocation sales. I've seen some good prices on that site over the years.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
tex_toby USER_AVATAR
tex_toby
Deputy

Postby tex_toby » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:55 pm

If you are set on a gasser and don't want to spend a fortune, I recommend craigslist as well for a gently used Weber. It might take a few weeks to g et the right deal, but they are there to be had.
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Custom Mobile Stick Burner
Summerset TRL 32" Built-In Grill
Weber Q2200
48" Custom Firepit
Bertello Pizza Oven

I can't always please everybody. I'm not bacon.
brentski USER_AVATAR
brentski
Cowboy

Postby brentski » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:35 pm

My gasser, well the burners are literally flaking apart and there's the cast iron grate issue I too am dealing with. I don't plan on replacing my gasser as long as I'm on the island. Even SS rusts here. Did you know that a 20 pound tank for a grill holds 4.1 gallons of propane when filled to 80% (full mark). A $25 exchange tank comes out to $6.10/gallon. Robbery I say.

Actually it's worse than that, most exchange cylinders are only filled to 15lbs now and propane weights 4.23 lbs per gallon so that is 3.5 gallons for the "handy exchange" @ $7.14 per gallon. But check the label to be sure it's only 15 lbs since some others still go to 17.5 lbs. I would invest in a spare cylinder to keep around so you can take it to the propane company to get filled. We keep spares at home, but we use the 50lb bottles. Or if you find an old Air-stream trailer they used aluminum cylinders instead of steel. If I run across one will let you know. 2nd the Primo.

Return to “Charcoal Grills, Gas Grills and Disc Cookers”