Griddle for my Gas Grill

Any type of high heat grill.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

wsucougs8
Pilgrim

Griddle for my Gas Grill

Postby wsucougs8 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:03 pm

I've been looking for a nice size griddle (hoping to find something about 18"x30") for my gas grill and am hesitant to try any of the $40-70 griddles on Amazon. Does anyone have a recommendation or reliable info? The negative reviews I've read talk about cracking and warping upon arrival, cracking or warping even after seasoning it, and cracking or warping after hitting a certain temperature.

thanks in advance!
grillatarian USER_AVATAR
Grillatarian
Rustler

Re: Griddle for my Gas Grill

Postby Grillatarian » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:51 am

Been there my friend. I don't really have one to give you thumbs up on, I have tried a couple and have been underwhelmed with the results. My kids gave me a Bobbie Flay reversible griddle, has smooth one side and raised bars on the other. It is heavy duty and has held up pretty good. It is better than the thinner ones I have, but it is a royal PITA to clean. I have a super stiff steel bristle pad that is supposed to make life better, and it does help.....some. You can also go after it like you would other cast iron cookware with corn meal or coarse salt and a rag. After you get it back to metal you must give it a good rub down with oil. Every time you use it, repeat process.

To me, the better choice (what I do now) is to use a heavy duty grate over the standard grill grate. Works just as good (if not better) and is easier to clean up.
"I don't always smoke meat, but when I do...I use a drum. Stay hungry my friends!"
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:37 am

get a piece of 1/4 plate steel
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
slojim
Pilgrim

Postby slojim » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:19 am

my sons scout troop has the camp chef griddles that are made to fit on the camp chef stoves. they are carbon steel tops with a cast bottom that makes them heavy. We have not had them long and only used them on a few camp-outs. So far, I think they work really well.
on my home grill, I have a reversible griddle like Grillatarian, and agree, it is such a PITA that I almost never use it. I may get a smooth on both sides lodge to replace it, or one of the camp chef ones, but I replaced my grates with heavy SS and one heavy cast iron, so I don't really have a big need. (I cook on cast iron frying pans and dutch ovens plenty)

Return to “Charcoal Grills, Gas Grills and Disc Cookers”