Kettle Collection

Any type of high heat grill.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

MaxBobcat
Pilgrim

Kettle Collection

Postby MaxBobcat » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:49 pm

I've got a little bit of a weber addiction...

My first Weber product was the 22 WSM, but my first kettle was a 2013 Green OTG. Then I purchased the 83 brownie. Then came the Lime Green SJ and the blue OTG. This was about the time the girlfriend started getting worried. ;)

Then the Red Daisy-Wheeler was purchased at an estate sale. Later I got a Plum SS Performer that I scored on Craigslist. A few weeks after that, I scored an 18 inch MBH faded black. Below is some before/after pictures of the 70's faded black 18" and my '83 Brownie 22".

BEFORE:

AFTER:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

During this time I've had two other SS Performers slip in and out of my possession. My Plum SS with gas I traded for a Red SS Performer with gas. They were both great grills and I definitely had both of them for too short of a time. They both cooked up some good rib-eyes for me while I had them. ;D

I decided though that I liked the look and simplicity of the standard SS Performer and found a guy to trade for my gas SS. I even got a Go-Anywhere out of the deal too! My new SS is in even better shape and is my every-day cooker now. I even added some new wooden handles on top. 8)

MaxBobcat
Pilgrim

Re: Kettle Collection

Postby MaxBobcat » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:50 pm

Today I did a small clean up of a Yellow 22" that I got off craigslist. I believe this to be a kettle from 1976. This thing was in fairly rough shape. Too many dings to really count on the lid and bowl, the top vent tab was bent off, and not to mention the bottom of the bowl has extreme crazing.

Today was just a good scrubing with some steel wool and cheapo degreaser and then I reassembled it. Here are some pics. I will try to get some coals going in it soon and I will post some of it glowing soon.

I have a more thorough rehab in store for this one, but don't have the tools or time right now. I plan on drilling out the bottom vent rivets and reattaching with bolts, as well as staining the original handle. As you can tell, this is a modern ashpan and everything. I think this will prob be a cooker, so I am not to concerned about being period correct on every little thing.

The Original CL Picture

Belly of the Beast.

What I used to help me clean up.

Scrubbed the vent to get a decent shot:

She started cleaning up pretty nice and I got her all assembled and put a Slide-Aside on...

The Purdy Side

The Oogly Side

Freckled tail

Ketchup and Mustard

Thanks for Looking! ;D
MaxBobcat
Pilgrim

Postby MaxBobcat » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:50 pm

I got around to firing her up today. I wanted to see the yellow turn that glowing orange I've heard about. I didn't really know what to expect. Whether it would slowly build a slight orange hue over 10 minutes as it warmed up or what. After I dumped in my chimney and sat back down in my chair, it was already a deep shade of rosy red. The pictures didn't really do it justice. It was more red than what they show.

Before the coals went in

After

rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:02 pm

Stay away from sharp objects, :laughing7:
limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Postby limey » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:39 pm

I thought I had too many cookers.
:D
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:30 pm

It's the Wizard of Weber, the Great and Powerful WOz.

i do admire your obsession/devotion to the history and progeny of your projects, including the glowing paint thing (makes me wonder what chemical composition they put into paint in the '70's!!!). It's a good thing to have different historians of different types of cookers on the TBBQF. Those EGGCENTRIC egg cult guys being one example, or the Western Auto/True Value shade tree mechanics that form the natural fan base of the Drummers being another, or even the crusty, irritable, paleo-neanderthal offset types like me.

I think the basic issue is that they made them in just too many colors and you find yerself mezmerized a bit. Kind of the way highschoolers used to look at the old Plymouth Dusters or AMC Javelins and say, "you know, I'm not really certain, but if you look at it just right in the light, it MIGHT actually be considered cool...."
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:00 pm

Nice family photo
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:14 pm

Stellar!! Thats quite the collection my friend.
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:31 pm

Mightyfine collection.

Weber rescuer and rehabber - nice
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE

Return to “Charcoal Grills, Gas Grills and Disc Cookers”