Salvage Gas Grill?

Any type of high heat grill.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

muttleytm
Pilgrim

Salvage Gas Grill?

Postby muttleytm » Sun May 25, 2014 8:41 pm

I've inherited a small Charbroil gas grill. It's pretty low end, pretty small and you can't set if for low temperatures, I've been wanting to upgrade for awhile now and can't quite bring myself to spending much money on a new one.

I often see old cast gas grills being thrown out. I've been wondering about using the grill body and grates from one someone is discarding and then replacing with quality aftermarket controls and burners. I was thinking if the grill body is cast it wouldn't rust out and I would think I could set it up to to accommodate a non OEM replacement burners. I can build a new cart for it.

I figured other people may have already done this. I've looked on the web a little and haven't found much.

Would this be a viable option to get something a bigger with better heat controls for cheap?

Any comments or suggestions will be appreciated. Any particular makes or models to look for when looking for a discarded grill?

Thanks in advance.

'
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Re: Salvage Gas Grill?

Postby egghead » Sun May 25, 2014 9:01 pm

I understand discarded gas grills make good anchors.

I suggest investing your time and energy into building a UDS.

Lots of info on this site and plenty folks will chime in with advice on building a UDS.

Regardless of the direction you head, Good luck.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
muttleytm
Pilgrim

Postby muttleytm » Mon May 26, 2014 9:11 am

What is a UDS?
dub'
Cowboy

Postby dub' » Mon May 26, 2014 10:18 am

Ugly Drum Smoker. It's quite the misnomer though- I haven't seen an ugly one yet,ever!
+1 on the "boat anchor" assessment. I'd use charcoal in it until the bottom falls out.
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Mon May 26, 2014 10:52 am

muttleytm wrote:What is a UDS?

Look here:
viewforum.php?f=73
tarde venientibus ossa....
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:51 pm

Cast rusts here. Heck, SS rusts here. :roll:
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
sparetimetoys USER_AVATAR
sparetimetoys
Bandolero

Postby sparetimetoys » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:39 am

We had one of those huge stainless grills that ran off a gas tap on the house. The outside stayed nice and sparkly but the inside rusted out. It didn't make any difference what we did to take care of it. Rebuilt it one time and it cost almost as much as buying a new one. When it rusted out again it went on Craigslist and some guy paid almost half of new price for it. He was going to rebuild it. But we are looking for a cheap gas one for momma and the kids to do burgers and hotdogs on when I'm out of town because they don't like messing with coals
Thank You to all the fine folks here for all the tips and advice so I can now smoke a chunk of meat and folks actually eat it.
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:07 am

muttleytm wrote:I've inherited a small Charbroil gas grill. It's pretty low end, pretty small and you can't set if for low temperatures, I've been wanting to upgrade for awhile now and can't quite bring myself to spending much money on a new one.

I often see old cast gas grills being thrown out. I've been wondering about using the grill body and grates from one someone is discarding and then replacing with quality aftermarket controls and burners. I was thinking if the grill body is cast it wouldn't rust out and I would think I could set it up to to accommodate a non OEM replacement burners. I can build a new cart for it.

I figured other people may have already done this. I've looked on the web a little and haven't found much.

Would this be a viable option to get something a bigger with better heat controls for cheap?

Any comments or suggestions will be appreciated. Any particular makes or models to look for when looking for a discarded grill?

Thanks in advance.

'

I'd say try it. Good practice for fiddling, and you'll learn in the process.

We use a gas rig sometimes. Don't judge us, lol.

Oh, and welcome aboard and be sure to post plenty of pics!
Moink!

Return to “Charcoal Grills, Gas Grills and Disc Cookers”