New to propane: bare copper wires touching

Any type of high heat grill.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

michaelmalak
Pilgrim

New to propane: bare copper wires touching

Postby michaelmalak » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:12 pm

I'm new to propane after a lifetime of charcoal. Not a grill, but rather a brand new fire pit from rstbrands.com -- I noticed two bare copper wires underneath with stickers attached saying "do not bend". But the wires are touching.

As you can see, on the three-position wire mount on the lower-right, the two wires on the left are bare copper (and the last one on the right is insulated). Those two wires are touching. Is that OK? I called rstbrands.com, and they said it was OK, but it didn't leave me with a lot of confidence. I want to make sure it's safe.
txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Re: New to propane: bare copper wires touching

Postby txsmkmstr » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:03 pm

Shameless plug, perhaps?? :dont:

I'd be inclined to believe the manufacturer regardless of internet opinions. No, I did not visit the website. :evilnana:
Custom LSG 24x40 - 36" Blackstone - (others - R & O FatGirl, ETSC RK-250, Tejas 1628 - all sold)
slojim
Pilgrim

Postby slojim » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:47 am

those look like thermocouples, probably to cut off the gas if it doesn't sense a flame, and in that case, the copper is used to conduct heat, not power, so no, it should not be a problem.
michaelmalak
Pilgrim

Postby michaelmalak » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:20 pm

slojim wrote:those look like thermocouples, probably to cut off the gas if it doesn't sense a flame, and in that case, the copper is used to conduct heat, not power, so no, it should not be a problem.

Thanks so much!

Return to “Charcoal Grills, Gas Grills and Disc Cookers”