Indirect Kettle Cooking

Any type of high heat grill.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Indirect Kettle Cooking

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed May 04, 2016 2:26 pm

I'm gonna try some Grilled Stuffed Poblanos tomorrow and I'll be doing them "indirect" on my Kingsford Kettle Grill. I've only grilled directly over the charcoal on this grill and have never grilled indirectly so I'm wanting to know if the charcoal should be located under the "vent on the lid" or should I put the peppers "under the lid vent"?
EDIT AND CORRECTION: :banghead:
What a dodo typo I made and forgot to say THE VENT ON THE LID - - - JEEZE :banghead: Trust me, Y'all, I don't have Dementia or Alzheimers - - - I only have "Old Timers Disease" :laughing7: :D :lol:

IMG_0005.JPG
IMG_0006.JPG
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Re: Indirect Kettle Cooking

Postby BluDawg » Wed May 04, 2016 5:55 pm

Build the fire opposite the exhaust put the food under the exhaust OR Fire to the left & right sides and food in the middle.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed May 04, 2016 6:36 pm

Thanks, Blu :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Fri May 06, 2016 9:05 am

blu said it best, I cook the same way on mine, the fire is as far away from the exhaust vent as possible(which on the kettle is not very far) and the food is as close to the exhaust vent as possible, then when the food is ready to go to the table, I will give it a good sear over the fire to put the grill marks on it when needed :D
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Thu May 12, 2016 5:34 pm

Weber makes some charcoal holders for indirect cooking, looks like they would work in your grill. They are nice because you don't have to bank the coals against the sides of the grill, or worry about a hot coal rolling into the drip pan.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu May 12, 2016 6:48 pm

thanks, Mr. Dave, I will definitely look into that :tup:
finatic USER_AVATAR
Finatic
Bandolero

Postby Finatic » Fri May 13, 2016 8:15 am

If you don't want to spend any $ on a charcoal holder, use that brick behind your grill as charcoal divider. Cheap and easy. :D
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon May 16, 2016 2:28 pm

Finatic wrote:If you don't want to spend any $ on a charcoal holder, use that brick behind your grill as charcoal divider. Cheap and easy. :D

hey, Fin & Dats, I found an old grill grate and turned up about a 1/3 of it 90 degrees, then placed it on top of the existing charcoal grate in the weber for a indirect charcoal holder - - - haven't used it yet but I'm sure it will work well :tup: If I get into indirect on the Weber, I'll make me a classy one.
finatic USER_AVATAR
Finatic
Bandolero

Postby Finatic » Mon May 16, 2016 7:37 pm

That'll work! :tup:

Return to “Charcoal Grills, Gas Grills and Disc Cookers”