old smokey 22 inch

Any type of high heat grill.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

mrxlh
Rustler

Re: old smokey 22 inch

Postby mrxlh » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:10 pm

As far as Capt Jack temps go, my lid temp gauge had the temp running 150-200 depending on what I was cooking. All I used during all my cooks was a cheap $10 meat thermometer. Yes that is how easy it is to cook on an Old Smokey without an ATC or expensive electronics. I have invested in an iGrill2 with a ambient grill surface probe, as the more I cook by internal temp, the more consistent the cooks turn out. I never rush cook or time it to the minute, like many BBQ Champions will tell you, it's done when it's done. If you don't have an oven with a good keep warm feature, get a Yeti or good ice chest, you can hold temps in cooked items for hours without issue. I do like using a Weber flip hinge grate as it fits really snug, which forces the bottom half rim round, the lid seals much better this way. This was however purely an accident, as I measured a Weber grate and my Old Smokey and thought it would fit a tad looser than it does, and didn't want to wait for one from Houston from Old Smokey.
mrxlh
Rustler

Postby mrxlh » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:07 pm

The only limitation that I have ever had with an Old Smokey is the Oklahoma wind, man it rarely stops and really affects an Old Smokey. Prior to building my BBQ Mario Cart, I used a cheap but effective wind stop.

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:20 pm

Excellent choice also on the Wind Weight to keep the Lid from blowing away :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:39 pm

Let's say I was going to do a butt. One side indirect right. How long does the charcoal last. Do you have to add fuel after three to four hours. Is that why y'all got the hinged grate.
mrxlh
Rustler

Postby mrxlh » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:49 pm

I added some at the 8 hour mark, but it was my first one so I wanted to "sneak up on it" rather than try to cook it to quick. I stack mine close together right at half of the perimeter, four rows, then 4 rows on top, then 3 rows, then 2 rows. Start with 7-10 lit coals on one end. For a colder smoke like my jerky, I used the snake all the way around the grill perimeter 2 rows with 1 row on top.
mrxlh
Rustler

Postby mrxlh » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:51 pm

As for the hinged grate, yes, you can add, or subtract coals while cooking depending on how your temps are running.
captjack USER_AVATAR
CaptJack
Outlaw

Postby CaptJack » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:43 pm

JustinCouch wrote:Let's say I was going to do a butt. One side indirect right. How long does the charcoal last. Do you have to add fuel after three to four hours. Is that why y'all got the hinged grate.

Justin on the 1-sided indirect setup i lay 2 or 3 good chunks of hickory in the corner of the fire grate,
then start/pour about 1/3 of a lit chimney of coals to start the cook
it will last about 90'mins before it starts to loose heat
from then on i'll add about 8 unlit briquets and another chunk or two of hickory about every hour after that

before OldSmokey brought out their hinged grill grate I bought two spare grill grates ($10 each)
and broke out the three outer wires on one for 1-sided indirect
and three wires on both sides for the 2-sided indirect cooks
i now have one of the OS hinged grill grates, but i still like the ones where i broke out the wires better
you'll notice them in my pics
22"OldSmokey • 2-burner gasser with GrillGrates
slownative USER_AVATAR
SlowNative
Wrangler

Postby SlowNative » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:38 am

Man, I wish I could see these pics! :banghead:
:texas: Slow Native :texas:
:x OLD SMOKEY GANG :x
Old Smokey 14 : Cookshack Smokette Elite SM025 Electric Smoker : MembersMark barrel
Richardson
Pilgrim

Postby Richardson » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:07 am

I have a brake drum off of an 18wheeler that I thought about using as a basket. You could never lift it but I can improvise. Surely that would hold enough and help stabilize the heat. What do you think.
And this site is good and informatives hope you like it.
https://www.menshairstyleslist.com/

Return to “Charcoal Grills, Gas Grills and Disc Cookers”