Short Ribs

Any type of high heat grill.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

mwillis
Pilgrim

Short Ribs

Postby mwillis » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:51 pm

I'm pretty newbie to the whole smoking game, have a weber kettle and have been convinced by the smoke snake technique, the technique has worked well but both times have had a dry effect, I have done ribs in the domestic oven before then finished them off on the bbq after with much better results. How do I get the fall of the bone effect on the. bbq?
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Re: Short Ribs

Postby bsooner75 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:30 pm

Welcome - when you use the snake method are you putting a water pan under the meat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:12 pm

Welcome MW,
I'm no expert on ribs but what I can say is if they ( fall off the bone ) they are overcooked. You definitely want them tender, but falling off is a bit too long.
The ladies and gents on here will come in and save the day, just hang out a bit , they might be counting sheep, or steaks,burgers, briskets or ABT's lol.
rms827 USER_AVATAR
rms827
Bandolero

Postby rms827 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:37 pm

Another old thread but this one caught my eye because my uncle used to do short ribs for us when we visited as kids. I have some knowledge here. I'd imagine there are more knowledgeable members of the forum here, BUT, since nobody else has commented...

First, the obvious... Short Ribs are naturally gawdawful tough. Google how to cook them and most of the recipes will be slow cooker and pressure cooker recipes. My uncle got partially around this with a Korean marinade. It's kind of like Bulgogi, but not as overly sweet as most of the Bulgogi I've tried. Anyway, that softened them up a bit. A good, thinner BBQ sauce should do the same.

Internal temperature is going to be the next factor. Pork ribs are done at about 190. Beef Short ribs you want to get to about 205 to 210 internal temperature to break down all the connective tissue. On a pellet pooper, that can take 5 hours or more at 250. Low and slow will tenderize without drying out though. I'd definitely use a water pan on a charcoal grill also so you don't dry them out.

Woodenvisions was right also. Properly cooked, ribs should have the meat come easily off the bone if you pull or bite, but not literally fall off the bone. That's considered overdone.
Rec Tec 680
Weber 22" Premium Kettle Grill in Green

"Nobody Beats Me in the Kitchen" - Casey Ryback (Steven Seagal - Under Siege 2)
Life's Too Short for Bad BBQ.

Return to “Charcoal Grills, Gas Grills and Disc Cookers”