I Guess I Do Charcoal Now...

Any type of high heat grill.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

rms827 USER_AVATAR
rms827
Bandolero

I Guess I Do Charcoal Now...

Postby rms827 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:15 am

I was going to post this Monday night when we went out to grab it, but we've had a ton of side drama with a flat tire on the SUV.

Anyhoo... We did go pick up a charcoal grill Monday night. I ran the idea of the Old Smokey past my other half and she said no, we got bit on the rear trying to save money last time with the Char-Broil junker. So, we got a Weber 22" Kettle. The premium version in green to be exact:

https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/original-kettle-premium-charcoal-grill-3

We figure as I learn my way around charcoal, we can eventually add stuff like the table or whatever. For now the Weber will be a fair starter, and has the easy ashes clean out poop chute, LOL.

As for the flat tire... SHORT version is the dealership refused to honor our factory tire protection warranty and sent us away without touching the vehicle, AFTER the corporate roadside program had us flat bed hauled there. Saying I've been irked would be an understatement. Beyond that little bit of venting, I'll keep the drama off the board. :P
Rec Tec 680
Weber 22" Premium Kettle Grill in Green

"Nobody Beats Me in the Kitchen" - Casey Ryback (Steven Seagal - Under Siege 2)
Life's Too Short for Bad BBQ.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: I Guess I Do Charcoal Now...

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:00 am

OUCH, Good Luck with the Kettle Kooking - - - :tup: :salut: :cheers:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:55 am

rms827 wrote:I was going to post this Monday night when we went out to grab it, but we've had a ton of side drama with a flat tire on the SUV.

Anyhoo... We did go pick up a charcoal grill Monday night. I ran the idea of the Old Smokey past my other half and she said no, we got bit on the rear trying to save money last time with the Char-Broil junker. So, we got a Weber 22" Kettle. The premium version in green to be exact:

https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/original-kettle-premium-charcoal-grill-3

We figure as I learn my way around charcoal, we can eventually add stuff like the table or whatever. For now the Weber will be a fair starter, and has the easy ashes clean out poop chute, LOL.

As for the flat tire... SHORT version is the dealership refused to honor our factory tire protection warranty and sent us away without touching the vehicle, AFTER the corporate roadside program had us flat bed hauled there. Saying I've been irked would be an understatement. Beyond that little bit of venting, I'll keep the drama off the board. :P

Keep practicing and then:
Attachments
Stick-burner-fire.png
Stick-burner-fire.png (452.17 KiB) Viewed 2587 times
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:41 am

Your going luv the Weber. First accessories I'd get is the Weber charcoal baskets and a chimney starter.
Their charcoal baskets are cheap and work great for indirect grilling and reverse sear.
https://www.weber.com/US/en/accessories ... ar-baskets

If I could only have one bbqing toy and I got a number of them including, 2 COSs, trailer off set, 4 burner Weber gasser, Pellet pooper and a cement block vertical smoker, it would be a coin toss between my vertical or my Weber.

Enjoy :cheers:
Bill
dabertl USER_AVATAR
daBertl
Bandolero

Postby daBertl » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:55 pm

Good Luck with your new Weber :tup:
For sure you will be happy with it. The only reason that i bought a Roesle instead of a Weber was, that the Rösle F60 Air is a little bit more big, that it has a with the lower part connected cover and that it has a better air management.

But maybe an American has to buy a Weber an d a German has to buy a Roesle :P :lol:

Oh my Buddha, what about me, cause i have a Weber Summit too :rose: :salut: :mrgreen:

F3CE7CB7-92B7-4F9A-9A36-5FCA91B956B7.jpeg
38E49FC6-AEAD-4D11-B42E-92AE9B57643E.jpeg
Extra Bavaria non est vita, et si est vita, non est ita.
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:10 pm

I love my kettle. If you want to do some low and slow or an intense Sear is highly recommend a Slow N Sear. Not a must have by any means but it sure is nice.

https://abcbarbecue.com/product/slow-n-sear-plus/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
castironchris USER_AVATAR
castironchris
Bandolero

Postby castironchris » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:17 pm

bsooner75 wrote:I love my kettle. If you want to do some low and slow or an intense Sear is highly recommend a Slow N Sear. Not a must have by any means but it sure is nice.

https://abcbarbecue.com/product/slow-n-sear-plus/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1
Weber 22" with SlownSear
Weber Smokey Mountain 22"
rms827 USER_AVATAR
rms827
Bandolero

Postby rms827 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:57 pm

Rambo, some day I'll get to stick burning. :D I can build and maintain a wood fire better than a charcoal one as is. Practice with fireplaces, which the PRC has all but banned the last decade or two, on pollution grounds. :angryfire: :banghead:

Bill, we left the store with the chimney starter. :mrgreen: Got the official Weber brand one also. There was another one that was about $7 less, but it was pretty cheaply made compared to the Weber. Buy the best and buy it only once, right? Beyond that, we also picked up a cover for the grill. Once I can get a direct heat fire down cold (pun intended, lol) we'll worry about other goodies.

DaBertl, Weber makes a 26" version of their kettle also, but I've heard really good things about Rosle too.

Those Slow and Sear look pretty nice too. I'm not sure they're worth 5x the Weber version that Bill linked to, although I can see a few better design elements, like the norrower grate on the bottom. The joys of being able to put together a wish list for a a new toy, LOL. :D

As or the tire situation, we took it to another Subaru dealership, which honored the tire warranty coverage, and got us out the door with a new tire in a half hour for the pro-rated price of $25. Not bad for a $230 tire. Needless to say, guess where we're going from now on.
Rec Tec 680

rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:49 pm

What is PRC?
rms827 USER_AVATAR
rms827
Bandolero

Postby rms827 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:29 pm

Rambo wrote:What is PRC?

The People's Republic of California. A place I intend to escape even if the ongoing attempts at dividing it are successful.
Rec Tec 680

woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: RE: Re: I Guess I Do Charcoal Now...

Postby woodenvisions » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:38 am

rms827 wrote:[quote="Rambo"]What is PRC?

The People's Republic of California. A place I intend to escape even if the ongoing attempts at dividing it are successful.[/quote]I was hoping that you would clarify that so I didn't have to :(
Yeah, I've been trying to get my sis away from there for the past 15 years and she's trying to Get Me There !!
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:34 am

So California won't let you burn wood?
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:23 am

bondobill wrote:Your going luv the Weber. First accessories I'd get is the Weber charcoal baskets and a chimney starter.
Their charcoal baskets are cheap and work great for indirect grilling and reverse sear.
https://www.weber.com/US/en/accessories ... ar-baskets

If I could only have one bbqing toy and I got a number of them including, 2 COSs, trailer off set, 4 burner Weber gasser, Pellet pooper and a cement block vertical smoker, it would be a coin toss between my vertical or my Weber.

Enjoy :cheers:
Bill

Yup, we love our Weber. :tup:
Moink!
rms827 USER_AVATAR
rms827
Bandolero

Postby rms827 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:25 am

Not in fireplaces. Technically there are supposed to be "approved burn days" during the winter if the PRC deems the air is clear enough. Never happens though. Most folks have just given up and converted to gas fireplaces or those fake electric heaters that look like fireplaces.

Restaurants can burn wood to cook though and they haven't clamped down on stick burners (which are rare here) or pellet poopers.

The air regulations out here seem crazy, and in some cases they are, but the coastal valleys and big central valley tend to hold smog. So does the LA basin. I remember going to Disneyland when I was 5 or 6 and asking my parents why the sky was literally brown in LA. Now it stays blue there. As said, some of the rules are just nonsense based on pseudo-science though. Wood fires release alot of particulate matter so fireplaces get targeted even though that washes out of the air with a moderate rain. In the mean time the state pushes natural gas for everything even though it breaks down into the compounds (oxides of nitrogen) that contribute to acid rain.

Georgia made me learn all the chemistry as an emissions repair mechanic, but that was before the science got politically correct.
Rec Tec 680

sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:15 am

rms827 wrote:Not in fireplaces. Technically there are supposed to be "approved burn days" during the winter if the PRC deems the air is clear enough. Never happens though. Most folks have just given up and converted to gas fireplaces or those fake electric heaters that look like fireplaces.

Restaurants can burn wood to cook though and they haven't clamped down on stick burners (which are rare here) or pellet poopers.

The air regulations out here seem crazy, and in some cases they are, but the coastal valleys and big central valley tend to hold smog. So does the LA basin. I remember going to Disneyland when I was 5 or 6 and asking my parents why the sky was literally brown in LA. Now it stays blue there. As said, some of the rules are just nonsense based on pseudo-science though. Wood fires release alot of particulate matter so fireplaces get targeted even though that washes out of the air with a moderate rain. In the mean time the state pushes natural gas for everything even though it breaks down into the compounds (oxides of nitrogen) that contribute to acid rain.

Georgia made me learn all the chemistry as an emissions repair mechanic, but that was before the science got politically correct.

We lived in CA for a year....saw that same brown air near uhm, wherever they have the TV studios.

It was a while ago. Have you seen my brain? :laughing7:
Moink!

Return to “Charcoal Grills, Gas Grills and Disc Cookers”